If you are pregnant with twins how early can you deliver?

YeahHer

Asked by YeahHer at 10:18 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They like you to hit 35 weeks, but I have seen them carried to term and seen them preemie because they were having problems inside mom.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My daughter had twins and her doctor made her wait till she was 36 weeks. She started going into preterm labor about 30 weeks and they kept giving her meds to stop it, they did not want her to deliver at 36 weeks but she refused to take the meds (which btw IS YOUR RIGHT) and delivered 2 healthy beautiful baby girls 5.11lbs and 5.9lbs. The reason they want you to carry them as long as possible is so their lungs can fully develope however, they can give the babys some meds (if I remember correctly I think it is a type of steroid) when they are born if they are not fully developed.
    darlinedemoss

Answer by darlinedemoss at 10:30 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• wow! 5 pounders! That's a great size for twins! :D
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Well I am 34 weeks & don't know how much more I can take! lol
    YeahHer

Comment by YeahHer (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Don't use that mentality, it makes it harder! Just hang in there. You will take it, because you don't have much of a choice. This will be a distant memory before you know it!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Since full term is 37 weeks, it makes sense that that would be good to hang on to Twins until AT LEAST that long.

I know many women that go past 37 weeks. It is the OB's that are scared.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:55 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I'm sure its brutal to be pg with twins, i saw many sets of twins in the NICU when i was there with my daughter-some were born really early, but there were also twins there with underdeveloped lungs and digestive systems born at 36 weeks. Wait as long as you can safely wait!
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 8:25 PM on Oct. 31, 2010