If you left the Jehovah Witness faith....

I'd like to know what ended up convincing you to leave. And this does not imply if you merely left the faith completely rather than choosing a different one. The reason I ask this question is because my Mother is a Jehovah's Witness. I've been trying for a few years to "enlighten" her to the atrocity of their doctrinal teachings through the Watchtower Society. I've tried going at it from the deleted verses, the backgrounds of Russel Taze, Wescott, Hort, etc, the stake vs. the cross argument, to name a few. I would love to hear from a former Witness who might be able to help me. If you're not familiar with their teachings please don't respond.

RepentantSinner

Asked by RepentantSinner at 3:18 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Try http://www.4jehovah.org or http://www.christiananswers.net/evangelism/beliefs/jehovahswitness.html or http://www.chick.com/bc/1985/witnesstojw.asp

Keep praying for her and sharing YOUR testimony with her, showing her how God is working in your life and the love he has for her through Christ.

Anonymous

• i just have a question for you... since i actually have left the faith and am very familiar with the teachings. why are you trying to convince your mother to leave? no one is going to leave their faith based on what someone else says. all you are doing is damaging your relationship. leaving was the hardest thing i have ever done yet my true friends are my true friends and my family has stood by me and i wouldn't try to convince them to leave something they obviously enjoy. religion is a personal choice. just my opinion and i am not trying to be nasty or mean but coming at it from an insider point of view that you might just want to cherish the parts of your mom's faith that make her what she is. ALL religions have b.s. in them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I started reading the Holy Bible instead of "The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures". I also began accepting literature from other denominations, which is a no-no for JWs. I think it all happened because someone(s) prayed for me. The best thing you can do for your mother is pray for her. You can't convince her. Only the Holy Spirit can convince and convict.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:42 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I searched and prayed for God and found him. SHe wont be convinced if its not in her heart
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I was raised as Jw and left when I was 21. I think at that point in my life I was finally mature to think for myself and realize that so much of what I was taught was so one-sided without scriptual basis for many things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• First off Christ was on a toture stake, it is in the Bible.The toture stake was a tree. Look in your King James version and it should say abot Christ picking a tree,Acts 5:30. It says nothing about a cross., just a tree. Also, if a person decide to bcome a Jehpvahs Witness , you should be proud of them, for Jehovahs Witneses keep on learning they never stop at that!!!! Could it be because they donot celebrate Holidays, they don't because God said not to follow mans traditions, it is no where in the Bible to celebrate these.
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I would like to know what atrocities you are talking about. And what deleted verses, I read from the same bible as you. Jw's don't try to convince you to change your faith so why would you try to get your mom to quit. Their teachings are from the bible as almost all religions are not or don't you believe the bible is God's word? I am not a JW but my mom is and I do study with both a friend of mine and my mom. They don't judge you I can't say enough good things about them. Let me tell you I was totally against JW's until I started to study the bible, I was raised one also, without holidays and such.
    Peteysmom

Answer by Peteysmom at 12:34 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• unless there is something your mother is doing as a result of her beliefs that is harmful to herself or others, you should probably stay out of it. everyone has the right to their own religious beliefs.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Hopscotching through the Bible is a tactic used by all Jehovah's Witnesses. Do not allow this as this is how much of their theology is built. Always discuss verses at length AND IN CONTEXT before proceeding to the next verse. Fully discuss one subject at a time. Don't get carried away debating silly things. Keep the main thing the main thing: What is the Gospel? How does one gain eternal life? Who is Jesus?
    Anonymous

• If possible give them Christian literature following your testimony. Ask the Witness to read the material with their Bible upon returning home. Also, remind the Witness that you will be praying for him (or her) and then do just that! If you are able, get their name and pray for them by name daily. Give their name to other prayer groups. Remember, it is the Holy Spirit who converts not you.
    Anonymous