Are there any mommy's out there that has toddles with food and dust allergies?

My granddaughter is 23 months old. Poor baby has severe allergies to dairy, eggs, and dust. Ever try avoiding any of those things in everyday life, it is pratically impossible.Her allergies ares so severe that the baby is broke out from head to toe with a rash that itches her so bad that she can not sleep. She is being seen by an allergy specialist who has her on Zertec but that does not seem to help at all. According to the specialist she can not start taking allergy shots till she is 3 years old. We have tried just about every brand of over the counter anti itch lotion that is on the market that is for her age an and they do not seem to releave her itching. The only releif she gets is when we give her a cool shower or bath. Our pharmasist told me that any of the prescription anti itch creams she could not use due to her age and the fact they all contain steriods. Any suggestions?

darlinedemoss

Asked by darlinedemoss at 10:25 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you guys know about the Food Allergy Network? foodallergy.org.
    They have a lot of information/tips for cooking and reading food labels.

In my experience 12 years in a daycare with about 1000 kids/year, you really HAVE TO avoid what she is allergic to. Do not let ANYONE: babysitters, daycare, extended relatives give her anything to eat that may contain allergens. And then the dust? Avoid carpeting, damp mop and dust every day. Watch out for the kinds of clothes she wears, some have more static and may attract dust. Since the dust would be an inhaled allergy, I'm wondering if the doc would consider nasonex nose drops/spray. Again, she is so young that may not be an option either.

I'm so sorry for all of you and especially her to be suffering with those allergies. Good luck and hugs to you all.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• We do try to avoid anything that has dairy or eggs. She drinks soy milk. It is very hard to find foods that have no dairy or egg products. We do alot of label reading. LOL. The dust is a big issue. My daughter has carpet thru out her apartment. I have suggested that she go to home depot and get some of that tape that you see in new construction homes and cover all the carpet in her living room area (Where Mia spends the majority of her time) to cut back on some of the dust. I am thinking that in addition to the allergies that we know about that perhaps she may be allergic to the brand of detergent they use and suggested she start using DREFT and double rincing her clothes to see if that helps.... at this point anything is worth trying. SHe spent the night last night with me and at 2:30 we were still up and in the shower for the second time to get her some releaf'
    darlinedemoss

Comment by darlinedemoss (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• That has to be difficult. Is there any way your daughter could get her carpet removed and get laminate flooring put in? This way she could just wipe it up daily and not worry about running a vacuum cleaner which probably kicks up even more dust.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Unfortunatly no. SHe asked about that and was told no. Her lease will be up in Jan so maybe she can find an apt that does not have carpeting but in this area that is difficult to do.
    darlinedemoss

Comment by darlinedemoss (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Oct. 31, 2010