Fundal Height

I'm confused. My fundal height at 21 weeks is 18.5 cm. However, at my 19 week ultrasound, the baby was measuring 19 weeks 3 days. When I saw the nurse last week, she said it was 20 cm at 20 weeks, but when I measure myself, I get 18.5 cm. I think I had some urine in my bladder when the nurse measured me, so that could have made it off. I'm wondering if I should be worried.

MentorMel

Asked by MentorMel at 11:42 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No I would not be worried. It should measure about as many cm per week you are. It can change by how the baby is positioned. I wouldn't worry by a small change like that. Also it can change by you doing it your self because your muscles are not relaxed, thats why the nurse does it for you.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Nothing to be worried about, measurements for fundal height can vary between having a full bladder, the position of the baby, and different people doing the measuring, unless it is WAY off there is no need to stress =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:55 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• The general rule is 1cm per week of pregnancy, but that can vary on a lot of factors. Different people measure differently, if your bladder is full, the baby's position, the amount of amniotic fluid. I measured right on with my first two pregnancies, but measured 2 - 3w ahead with my last. I had a lot of amniotic fluid. Especially since you measured yourself, I wouldn't worry about the difference.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• No, I would not be worried.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:53 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• my midwife said they look for it to be 2 cm one way or the other around your number of weeks so if youre 20 weeks then anything rom 18 to 22 cm would be considered normal....mine was off for a couple weeks around that time too but they were so unconcerned they didnt even tell me...then after i 'caught up' they mentioned it like it was no big deal so dont worry...: )
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I have measured 4cm ahead of my dates the whole time, so I've gotten to have 3 ultrasounds that all conclude that my dates are accurate and baby's either big, or just positioned right in front. You should be fine.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:44 PM on Oct. 31, 2010