Why are so many people afraid of spiders & snakes?

I just don't get it, what is there to be afraid of? I mean, sure, if you have a cobra in your kitchen, be wary, but a Boa or even a little Garden Snake, isn't going to hurt anyone... And spiders are just cute...

Where does this fear come from?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:44 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Pets

• IMHO, they are creepy creatures!
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• IDK, but I am deathly afraid of spiders...I seriously can't deal with it. I used to have nightmares of being covered in them when I was younger. I can't even kill one b/c I'm scared to get that close. It's absolutely ridiculous but something about them freaks me out to the point of making me sick to my stomach. Snakes don't give me that feeling though. I don't care for them, but I can be near them and see them without feeling panicky.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I don't know. They're just creepy, lol. I guess it's because snakes and spiders can harm you (some of them) and most people don't know how to differentiate from the dangerous and harmless ones. If I'm aware a snake is not poisonous, I'll hold it. But if it is...no way, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:49 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• And spiders are cute?! We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one, lol! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

• Cuz they are just creepy creatures
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I LOVE them both. I used to keep spiders when I was a kid and have never had a fear of them... As an adult I prefer snakes cause they are easier to handle... I just can't understand the fear so many have!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Don't have a fear of snakes, I have owned and caught a few growing up.. Now I am not scared of spiders and as long as it is not poisonous I will let it live in the house but if it is a black widow (we have alot around here) or a brown recluse (my DD was bite by one) I prefer them dead...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:50 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I can handle snakes just fine, but spiders is another story for me.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 11:53 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Are you serious?... Black Widows and Brown Recluses... Thats all I have to say! I guess you have to live somewhere like this to have to worry about them.

Snakes, Im not worried about unless, we are hiking. Then we worry about rattles, coral, sidewinders... AAHH
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I had a manager who almost lost her foot because of a brown recluse several years ago. Seeing the nasty gaping hole in her ankle was enough to make me afraid of those. It look over a year of hospital treatments to be sure they could save her foot. It was hiding in her gardening shoes, and bit her when she put them on to go outside. We also have black widows in this area too. I don't freak out about other spiders as much, but I don't necessarily want them around me either. We have copperheads in this area, but I admit even smaller snakes scare me a little too. I think I had one slither over my foot when I was little once, and I've never really liked them since. I find it fascinating to see them in the zoo though. I have also touched them at zoos a couple times when someone was holding one, so I don't always freak out about them either. Just a healthy fear in case they're poisonous. ;-)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 31, 2010