No more handouts?

I keep hearing about Obama giving handouts(socialism) but I feel it is both ways.
Obama wants to give a tax cut(handout) to middle and lower class and McCain wants to give a tax cut(handout) to the wealthy. We all pay taxes one way or another.
Why not have a straight tax right across the board, No deductions? Business really take advantage of it where others cannot.

Raise the sales tax up to say 15-25% percent except for food, utilities. We do not have to have new cars, new cloths, its our choice.

No one can take advantages of the system with loop holes and such. You will not get handouts for having kids and dependents.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree that some kind of flat tax or an across the board sales tax would be the perfect solution, but most politicians are opposed to these ideas. The problem with what these two candidates have both proposed is that "middle class" and "wealthy" mean so many different things because they are such nebulous terms. I think that is by design. If I make $10,000 a year, then the guy that makes $40,000 looks wealthy to me. I think what they are all doing is creating class envy, and I don't like it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:42 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I don't know, where I live there is no sales tax on anything except for cars (I think) and I wouldn't want that to change.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:59 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• To be totally factual here, Obama wants the Bush tax plan to expire and he wants to reinstate the Clinton taxes. Bush tax plan lowered our taxes and gave us higher deductions for children, housing, property taxes, etc. Clinton's taxes were higher and the deductions were lower. So in reality, OBAMA WILL RAISE ALL OF OUR TAXES. Barney Frank said that we need to spend more, not worry about the deficit and inevitably raise taxes, Pelosi said that the Dem's plan on a spending increase and therefore increase taxes, Biden is now saying the those making $150,000 will see a tax increase and paying taxes is our patriotic duty, Obama started saying that those making $1,000,000, then $250,000, now $200,000.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• CONT........Honestly, our taxes WILL be raised with Obama! Taxing anyone during this fragile economic crisis will destroy our economy. Think about what will happen with a majority Dem government....RAISE TAXES!! INCREASED GOVERNMENT SPENDING AT OUR EXPENSE!! SOCIALIST SPREAD THE WEALTH!! DANGEROUS!!

McCain wants to double our child tax credits from $1500 to $3000 per child, he wants to cut taxes on businesses to increase jobs and keep American businesses from outsourcing American jobs. This creates jobs and grows our economy. Simple Reaganomics! McCain agrees with the Reagan tax plan. When Reagan came into office after the Carter President debacle, his Reganomics created job growth, grew our economy, lowered the unemployment rate and we went from recession to a thriving economy......that is what McCain wants. NOT BUSH, REAGAN!

Anonymous

• tHEY BOTH WILL RAISE TAXES.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Akin, so you are saying because my family have run businesses, worked 70 hours or better but do not make the big money we are lazy? Or the fella that works 6 days a weeks but doesn't make big money is not helping out? Neither Obama or McCain is giving to people who do nothing, its a tax break. It is the people on here that use the term handout and that is why I used it in ( ). For some reason if you are not a corporation, people seem to think a tax break is a handout. Obama is giving a tax break same as McCain. Straight line tax or Federal purchase tax would take care of all this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Not true Anon 8:04AM! McCain won't ..... Reaganomics....look it up! That is what McCain believes in!!
    Anonymous

• anon 9:04 I think you are the right one, but not taxes exactly. I heard they will have to raise the federal fee's on things. They know we hate taxes and take fee's much better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Under Obama's plan, if you make around $50K a year (and less) then his website makes it look like if you have the right conditions (work, married, have child support payments, wife or somebody beginning college, plus a kid in daycare) you could walk away from the tax desk with literally NO tax liability AND receive as much as $8000 in hand (of refundable credits. You'd get more if had some withheld, b/c of no tax liability, you would get all that you paid in, back.) Is that ludicrus or what? From whose pocket will these monies come from? Or does our country have stores and stores of money sitting in a bank waiting to be thrown to the masses? No wonder people want him in office. Lets tax the working people to DEATH, lets pass it over to those poor poor poor people who do just enough, and those who do NOTHING, and we'll all hold hands and sing "I'd like to teach the world to sing."
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:20 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• McCain is for breaking up unions, then I guess. I remember Reagon, 13 3/4% morgage rates, my first house, ahh loved that rate. How many would like to trade their morgage rate for that? Wealthy on the other hand like my mother, made at one time17% on her CD's, she loved it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Oct. 31, 2008