Diabetes ?

I was wondering for anyone who has or knows about Diabetes....if you think it might be what I have or tell me some info on it ( I cannot go to the DRs for a few weeks ) ....

lately I have been having bad headaches from the time I wake up until I go to sleep ( basically they must not go away at all ) , I am dizzy and lightheaded, and I am nauseated.

Today at my grandmas she tested my blood sugar ( witht he needle prick and the little machine ) and it was 144.

I am over weight ( working on it ) , Diabetes run strong on my mom and dads side, and I have PCOS ( and it is common to get diabetes) ...

I have tried to look up info but not really getting anything that i can understand. What can I do? What will I have to do when I do go to the DRs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Health

• The will probably have you do glucose test (either a 1 hour or 3 hour). You drink this really sweet drink then they measure your glucose (sugar) blood level. That will let them know how well your body tolerates sugar. If you have type one (insulin issues) they may put you on an insulin injection schedule and modify your eating habits (low carb and specific kinds of carbs). If type two they will probably start with oral medications and eating habit modifcations. Type 2 is more typical in overweight and is considered an aquired illness. Type 1 is a production issue and is generally hereditary.

Good Luck!
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 12:36 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• i got diabetes when i was pregnant with emmy and emmy was born with it! how they figure mine out was that i always had episodes if i would have sugar for a while and when i was hospitalized due to pre-term labor they did loads of testes and diabetes was one of em!
    ourlove_asone

Answer by ourlove_asone at 2:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I'm a nurse and I can help if you want to chat.
    You didn't say if your grandma tested your blood sugar before eating anything for the day. If you had eaten, 144 isn't too bad, depending on the timing and what you ate. If you hadn't eaten anything, then yes it is higher than "normal" but in no way an emergency situation.
    some of the symptoms of diabetes are hunger, excessive thirst and tiredness.
    Dizzy, lightheaded, headache and nausea sound more like migraine type symptoms.
    Friend me if you want to. We'll chat.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I don't have diabetes (yet anyway) but there is a strong family history of it in my mother's family, and my dh also has it. If they want to test you for diabetes, they will sometimes do a fasting blood sugar. This means you don't eat anything past midnight the night before the test, you go in, and they take your blood. More then likely, you have Type 2 diabetes, which mean they will probably start you on pills.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2010