Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What would you do if someone rented you a house with no water?

My husbands cousin rented us their house and didnt tell us there wasnt a water meter.. Now we have a lease can we get out of it?

Answer Question

Asked by jtaylor87 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 12 (681 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • That happened to me. So you have no running water at all? No well? What I did was tell my landlord I was going to report him. He got the county out to come put a water meter in for us.

    Answer by VeggieMuslima at 12:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • Did it say the property was rented/leased "as is"? I would think that it would be the landlords responsibility to pay the city/water company to come out and set a meter unless your lease specifically states otherwise.. Good luck!

    Answer by scout_mom at 12:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • No water meter? Is it in city limits? Here, the water meters are underground. You just call the water district to put it in your name, and they turn it on.

    Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • the lease does say as/is but right under that it states that the landlord has to make sure the house is up to state health codes, which in texas there must be running water to be considered liveable. NO WATER period, out in a field no well... we have been going to my MIL house to take showers and eat...

    Comment by jtaylor87 (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • Contact the water company to ask where the meter is on your property. My dad's meter is under ground 1/4mi from his house, and he has to send in the readings himself every month. Considering you are probably on rural water, the city department may be able to forward you to the county office you'll need to talk about this with.

    What would I do? I'd figure out how to get water, ; )

    Answer by matobe at 12:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • After you figure it out then tell the landlord/cousin that the cost is xxx and deduct it from your rent with a receipt attached.

    Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • we contacted the rural water company and they said only the owner can pay for a water meter, which the cousin said he wouldnt pay for, and then they told us we had to pay the $6,000 to put a water meter in and also that we had to pay off the electric pole that they didnt finish paying for 3 yrs ago.

    Comment by jtaylor87 (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • well....wouldn't you have checked out all those details BEFORE you rented it? Try to get out of the lease....good luck.

    Answer by kerp1960 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • I would contact a lawyer. In our state the landlord MUST provide water and you MUST be able to have the electricity turned on in your name if that is what the lease says. Unfortunately there may not be much you can do though since you did rent as is and obviously did not check the place out very well or got a verbal agreement to fix those things and he didn't.

    Answer by aeneva at 1:58 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • Screw the lease. Move out, and into a house that is livable, with running water, after taking lots of pictures and getting letters from the rural water company regarding the potential cost, and also the bill for the electric pole.
    If your husband's cousin is stupid enough to take you to court, you will have proof that the property was not livable and you should have no problem getting the judge to agree. Good luck.

    Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.