im working on getting my DD to go to sleep on her own....without being rocked or in her swing

so how long should it take before she starts to soothe herself and just fall asleep on her own after i lay her in her crib?? (i dont mean each time, i just mean, if we keep working on it every day and night, will she start to improve in a day or two or two or three weeks....???) she will be 4 mos in a week

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you have a rocking chair to rock her in or do you mind walking her around? You can do either until she is almost asleep then lay her down to fall all the way asleep in her crib.
    Does she sleep through the night? I would think a week or 2 if she is sleeping through the night.
    For me, DD didn't really fall asleep in her swing but she did like to be held to fall asleep and it took about a week to get her to not be extra fussy laying on her own.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• The vast majority of children need comfort to fall asleep. They outgrow the need on their own. Even if you are successful tomorrow teething, wet diaper, major milestones and major growth spurts will interrupt sleep and require soothing. A sleep through is considered to be 5 hours. Sleep in the first year especially is variable.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• For my first, it took about 2 weeks to get really "used" to it... but he was 2 years and fully capable of understanding what was expected of it.

I would NOT expect a 4 month old to soothe themself to sleep unless they were doing it already naturally. MANY kids need to be comforted to sleep for the first year or two, and it's totally normal. Like Amilee said, even if she starts doing what you want her to now, it won't last. There are just too many phases and changes in the first couple of years and no sleep pattern will stick for most kids.

So, why traumatize her for a temporary result?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:41 AM on Nov. 1, 2010