Are there any Christians out there who go trick or treating?

Am I being hypocritical to call myself a Christian and then take my daughter trick or treating

jtaylor87

Asked by jtaylor87 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Holidays

• Not at all! Go out and enjoy the holiday and let your daughter have fun!  I am a Christian and our kids go out every year, Halloween is my favorite holiday because there isn't any big hassel, you play dress up and get candy, it's great!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:28 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• wow a little hard on yourself?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I am Christian, and I trick or treated, and so did DH, as will my DSs.

Absolutely not hypocritial, church groups celebrate the holiday and some throw parties and have "trunk or treats" too!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:29 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• No. Growing up, my church used to have a Halloween party. And they actually called it that. Then we would go trick or treating from there.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Why would you be? I don't get why this issue has been so discussed on the answer board so much this year. All souls day people IS a Chrisitian holiday. Today is also the pagan holiday Samhain. But if you are going to ask if it's hypocritical for you to celebrate it well then you might as that of ANY Christian holiday: Christmas, Easter, etc as they ALL have Pagan roots.

The Church adopted many traditions that Pagans held near and dear in order to make the conversion to Christianity not so hard to take, because they could still have a yule tree, and still decorate eggs and still carve goards to ward off eveil spirits.

Trick or treating came about when All Hallows Eve became a time for kids to pull pranks, such as soaping windows....they decided if they threw parties and gave out candy and kept them busy with harmless FUN, then they wouldn't get into trouble on the streets. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH TOT'ing
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Nope..you are not...I just got back from church and I teach the high school sunday school class...our lesson today was on halloween...it was downloaded straight from The Thoughtful Christian website. We learned about the origins of the holiday and why some Christian's do not celebrate it. It was very interesting and I even learned a lot from it.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I go... its fun!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• We go. It's a lot of fun!
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• wow....i think you may be taking things a little too seriously....loosen up and let yourself and your family go out and have some fun : )
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• We take the kids trick or treating because it's fun!
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 12:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2010