What do you do about breastfeeding if you get pregnant soon?

I know breastfeeding keeps many women from getting pregnant. I'm not one of them. There must be others like me. What do you do if you get pregnant while still nursing a small baby (6 months old or so)? Do you keep nursing and nurse both? Wean the first? Nurse, but gradually wean before the next one comes? I find nursing during pregnancy utterly exhausting, but I like to nurse to at least the one year mark. Just curious what other moms have done. I'm not pregnant, just thinking.

Hazelnutkin

Asked by Hazelnutkin at 12:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• It is perfectly safe and normal to nurse while pregnant and only you can decide what's best for you and your baby.
    I have nursed through 3 pregnancies. My son self weaned when he was 27 months and i was 8 months along. He probably did not like the taste of the change in milk. My Daughter however, did not care and nursed through 2 pregnancies and after each one (I was a surrogate so no need to tandem nurse) I weaned her at 4.

Breastfeeding is not a form of Birth Control. It can help to keep you from ovulating but if a woman is not nursing exclusively (no food other then breastmilk, no pumping and feed every 2 hours) and baby is 6 months or older, breastfeeding can no longer be considered "birth control"
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• tandem nurse
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Mine weren't that close together, however I got pg while nursing twice (babies over one year old.) The first time my doctor told me to wean and I didn't know any better so I did... it wasn't difficult, as he was only nursing once a day or so anyhow. The second time I kept on nursing, but my dd self weaned early in pregnancy because my milk supply decreased a lot and she seemed really frustrated. She was done nursing by the time I got to the early second tri.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Keep breastfeeding. I got pregnant a year after my daughter was born and nursed her throughout my pregnancy. It was definitely easier to get my son started. I nursed both of them for a few months after my son was born. She did not want to wean because I had the good milk, but she did wean.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:08 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I breastfed my oldest 100%, I got pregnant with no return of my period, I just knew when I was ovulating, I got pregnant on his first birthday and continued breastfeeding him until my next so was born.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• You do whatever YOU want to do. As long as their is no history of preterm labor or some other very rare medical conditions then it is perfectly safe to nurse through the entire pregnancy and tandem nurse after the second is born. Personally I got pregnant when my first was 15 months old and planned to nurse through pregnancy and tandem after if that is what #1 wanted. He however chose to wean around 6 months pregnant and said it tasted yucky and that was why. He did ask to nurse after #2 was born which I allowed a couple times, but he gave up because he had forgotten how to latch and feed correctly. I went on to nurse #2 until she was 35 months old. I have a friend who nursed through her entire pregnancy after getting pregnant at 16 months PP and went on to tandem nurse until #1 was 29 months old (and he chose to wean) and #2 nursed until 38 months old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I used BF'ing as birth control. It worked for me.
    My DD on the other hand - it didn't work for. She EBF'ed all of her children, the only one that went into a pregnancy was her 2nd daughter. She BF'ed her until 18 mo. and by that time she was 4 mo. pregnant with her son.
    NevadaSky

Answer by NevadaSky at 2:36 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Breast feeding does NOT keep women from getting pregnant. That's a myth.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 6:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Breastfeeding is NOT a form of birth control. It's safe to nurse through pregnancy (as long as your midwife/doctor doesn't advise otherwise), and even to tandem nurse (nurse both kids). Your older baby may notice a flavor change with pregnancy, and may even reject the breast. But if not, there's no reason you need to stop. It's up to you!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:21 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• FYI, I was EBFing, and I got my period back at 4 weeks PP. Again, BFing is NOT a form of birth control.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:22 AM on Nov. 1, 2010