What was your first home like after you got married?

The first place my husband and I had was government housing (we were in the Navy). It was a two bedroom two bathroom townhouse. It was perfect for us.. then. It was a four-plex, but that's okay. There was a concrete slab in the back where we'd put an old futon. We'd smoke out there (I wasn't really fond of smoking inside very much) and have so many conversations. I kinda miss that place.

The only suck part, really, was that during the summer that I was pregnant with my daughter, southern California broke some temp records and all we had were ceiling and box fans. They installed a pool in that small neighborhood the week we moved. Figures.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 12:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Home & Garden

• First place we lived was a travel trailer. It was in a trailer park with a lake at the end of the road. Lots of retirees who were very nice to us. There wasn't much room inside, so everyone sat out on their patios, and walked around the park, so you got to know the people. A year later we bought a house that they had just painted pepto-bismol pink! I couldn't wait till we could paint it. It had 3 bedrooms and a fenced in back yard with citrus trees. It was really nice to be able to pick our own oranges and grapefruit. You've brought back memories for me. Thanks for posting this question.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:38 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• We were married when we were living in a tiny one bedroom apartment, lol. We hated it!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Our first house was a two bedroom one bath house that we have to completely remodel before moving in and still needed way more help than we could give it. Hubby was raised that renting was bad and would not let my parents co-sign (he was really stubborn back then) for a home loan for us and that was the only house his parents would co-sign for us on. Had we bought a home we could just move into we would not have lived with them when we first got married. I don't miss that first place at all, I was glad to be rid of the whole town, we moved back to the town where I grew up and I'm a lot happier here.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:00 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• We lived in a crappy little apartment. It was awful but at the same time it was SO cool to have our own place :)
    VeggieMuslima

Answer by VeggieMuslima at 1:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• The first home we bought, or the first place we lived? The first place we lived was a crappy one bedroom apartment with dark paneling, a drop ceiling, and fluorescent lights. Awful and tiny. Two years later when we were 20, we bought our first house, which was a small three bedroom, one bathroom ranch house.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:01 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• We lived in a one bedroom apartment, I look back now and we did not appreciate how good we had it. It was a nice apartment, in a new city. We had so much fun, it was our first time being away from all of our family and I think it taught us early on how close we needed to be to each other
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 31, 2010