Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do grandparents have right to visitation of a biological grandchild, if both parents haven't let them see the child?

My son and his wife moved out and went to live with her biological parents after them not having anything to do with her until she had the baby. Now they have talked my son and her into living with them, after them living her whole pregnancy and until my grandchild was a month old here with me, and I paid for everything, their wedding, a babyshower(in which these people refused to come to), I also paid for food, all personal products, everything they needed I paid for. Now she makes ever excuse not to let me see my grandchild, she won't let my son bring him to see me, she says my son is not responsible enough to take my grandchild without her. I am at a lose, do I as a grandparent have rights that can be in forced, in the state of Kansas?? Help : (

Answer Question

Asked by Momlovinglife at 12:59 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 4 (43 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • depends on the state you live in. There are different rules. In GA, grandparents have no rights. But, i think they do have rights in Tenn.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 1:00 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • I don't think Kanasas has any grandparents rights, I know Oklahoma didn't when I checked last.

    Answer by scout_mom at 1:01 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • I would try to deal with it by asking. Obviously there was an upset. Try and get beyond it. I do not know what Kansas laws are. There is a custody group on here that might have a member that knows the laws in Kansas. Good luck.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 1:08 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • If the baby is not in danger than 99% of the time, no matter what state- there is nothing you can do to make them visit you or you visit them.
    Talk to your son, send cards (I wouldn't send money or gifts until things become less cold) and call a few times a week to say hi to the baby. GL!

    Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • In Texas there are grandparents' rights. Not too sure about KS. I would call an attorney. There has to be something that can be done. I wouldn't concentrate on how much you spent because he is your son and you would've done it anyway. Best of luck to you.

    Answer by christy_lvr at 1:19 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • Can you tell them you would like to come over and give a couple times that you would be able to. Do not act like they owe it to you.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 1:26 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • Most states have no such laws.

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.