Do you know all of your childbirth choices?

What are the choices you have to choose from?

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 1:00 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• im not exactly sure what you mean but the hospital gave me a "birth plan" check list and they did nothing i put on there :p

it was 2 and a half years ago though and the only thing i remember is that i told them i wanted my husband to cut the umbillical chord and the nurse cut it instead, but you can have a vaginal delivery with a shot in the IV (that only worked for 15 mins with me i ended up getting an epidural), a vaginal delivery with no drugs, a c-section with a spinal block where youre awake but you cant feel anything, or a c-section where youre passed out

if you have more specific questions let me know, im not a professional but i can try!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Let me expand

Homebirth, Hospital, etc etc..... Most women have more choices then they realize!
    Roadfamily6now

Comment by Roadfamily6now (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• The list is sooo long and I have been advocating for years and do not know all the options and choices, lol.
    * * Mothers are the consumers and they can shop for and choose what they put in their cart. * *
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• What does your list consist of so far Doulala?
    Roadfamily6now

Comment by Roadfamily6now (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Starting with location.
    Anywhere you can fit. lol
    hospital, home (a list in itself, could be a friend's home, midwife's home, ...where do people live?), birth center (diff. kinds), hotels, on & on
    Then attendants, there are a lot of different options who will be there

Basically, this gets to be so enormous, we can choose more than *just* drugs or not.
    ;-)
    We can labor up, birth down, or vice-versa.
    In water for parts out for others
    At home, then move the party
    Hypno, Bradley, BFW methods for coping strategies
    We can choose heplock or not, IVs or not, abx or not (even for GBS!), kinds of monitors.
    Postpartum eye goop, bathe baby,
    OMG, I can't type fast enough!!!! TOO many options.
    phewww.
    ~~well you get the idea!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:36 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Homebirth with midwife, unattended homebirth, hospital birth with doctor or midwife, Birthing Center, Hospital Waterbirth, Home waterbirth, doula in attendance for any of these. And then there are all of the birthing techniques and the pain relief options, natural and pharmaceutical, and I'm sure some I haven't thought about.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 2:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• i do! but im scared of having the same episode as i did b4.. wit my last i had no help and she got stuck, i gave birth in a hospital with my son and had bad experiences.. so idk i may have a water birth
    ourlove_asone

Answer by ourlove_asone at 6:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I do know all of my options and if I get pregnant again I will have an OOHB come hell or high water. Oh yeah PS I got a client, I am doing it free for an HBAC.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:06 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I live in a small town and have the option of a hospital delivery with an MD or a home delivery with my husband. With only these choices, I'll take the MD, as my husband closes his eyes on Discovery programs of births!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2010