How do you organize your closet?

Do you color coordinate? What about according to the season? Do you have a section of "clothes that fit now" and "clothes that will fit after I lose x amount of weight?"

When I lived with my best friend 11 years ago, we combined our closets and color coordinated the whole thing, using ROYGBIV. Now, I have my clothes (and my husband's) by "home" and "work" as well as going from "long sleeves" to "no sleeves."

To make this OCD, they all have to be on the "right" hanger and hanging the "right" way and right-side-out. If any of these things is wrong, I go berserk fixing it.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 1:03 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I'm kind of the same way... for items that are hanging, I put them in the following order: dress pants, spaghetti strap tops, cap sleeve/fitted tops, fitted polos, 3/4 sleeve tops, long sleeve tops, long-sleeve polos or shirts with collars; then comes cardigans, sweaters, sweatshirts.
    My jeans and most sweaters are folded and on the top shelf. And all my shirts have to be facing towards the middle of the closet (have all my clothing hanging on the right hand side.
    and no, this isn't the only OCD tendency I have LOL
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I envy that kind of organization, Tam.
    My closet is not-so-affectionately called "The Closet Of Shame". TCOS is where Crap We Don't Use But Might Some Day gets tossed until I have a day where I need to affect some major positive change, then I get in there, break all manner of eggs trying to turn that closet into a nice fluffy omelet and end up praying for death in a pile of my husband's unmatched socks.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:13 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Up until we moved to this house I didn't have any clothes in my closet (just my girls' dresses because their closet was full of boxes).  Now we have a closet but no dressers so all of my clothes I wear regularly are in a rubbermaid box in the closet.  Pants on one side, shirts on the other.  My socks are in a bag that hangs from one of the shelves.  Bras and underwear in another bag.  Then my laundry basket is next to the clothes box.  Then my husband has 2 boxes (one for regular clothes, one for work clothes).  In the back are bags of out of season clothes.

Hanging up are my shirts because I don't dry them in the dryer and hang them up in the closet instead.  There is no order to them. 

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:43 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I organize it by themes... in piles: T-shirts, sweaters, Hanging: pants, tops, Bermudas, skirts One shelf for handbags & belts One shelf for jewelry and accessories two whole shelves for night shoes, high heels & sneakers Same for my husband but with MEN stuff lol

Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 7:45 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Sleeveless to long sleeve. I always take out past season clothing and store it under my bed in bins. I also have a shelving unit that holds all my jeans, t-shirts, tank tops. Shoes are also in a 24 slot organizer.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Everything is also hung the correct way, no clothes are inside out,etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Organized by type of clothing - skirts, shirts, jackets, pants - all hung up facing the same direction. Summer clothes are put away in drawers right now.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I love the question and the variety of answers !! I have not had much closet space for 20-some years and none for the past 5 years. I just bought a house and had a huge closet built in my bedroom - 10 feet by 5 feet !! I have 5 poles planned, 5 feet long each, two high and two low across the back and one from front to back for the long stuff (that I don't have much of). Then I will have a little bit of area for shelves or something, not sure what. I just bought 60 hangers yesterday at the WalMart with great plans for filling this closet !! Not sure how I'm going to organize, I think just making it onto the hangers and into the closet will be good enough for me !!! I also have 5 closets in my bathroom, and there is barely anything in those yet - I think I have too much space now and I'm not sure where to start - LOL !!!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2010