do you think it is okay for a married woman or man to have a friend (that they talk to ALL the time) that is the opposite sex?

SapphireRose85

Asked by SapphireRose85 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• I think your husband has a double standard going on there. If he can be friends with a woman then you can be friends with a man. Now If he thinks that a man and woman can't have friendships with the opposite sex then it would make sense and I would respect it. I myself have a couple of male friends and my hubby would be damned if he tried to make me lose my friends. We agree that we can be friends with whomever we choose, as long as they get along with the other then there is no problem.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 1:44 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I sure hope so. My best friend in the world is a man. I've been married 29 yrs and Dave has been my BF for more than 20 of that. My husband treats him like a brother.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:17 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Thats where trust and honesty comes into play if you can't trust your S/O and you can't be honest with each other it will cause tension and strain on the relationship and the same goes for if the male has female friends the female shouldnt be banned from having male friends one of my ex's thought it was perfectly ok for him to have all the female friends he wanted but I couldnt have any male friends he ran them all off but my current relationship he has female friends and i have male friends with no problem because we are honest with each other we trust each other and at times we ALL hang out :)
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:25 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Then there is a HUGE issue in the marriage. If the husband wont talk so the conversation that SHOULD be with the husband is with another man then YES it is wrong. Perhaps not 100% wrong on the wife's part... but there are BIG problems in the marriage. AND if I were the wife of the man on the phone Id be pissed.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:41 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I think it can be fine. It depends on the people and the relationships.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I'll be honest I just had to stop talking to my bff of 7 years because things were getting a little to close. Maybe it's cause he's an ex too. But my hubby doesn't like me talking to any guys anyway so it's better off I guess
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 1:20 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• i just wanted opinions because my best friend is a guy (he is also married) and my husband believes that for no reason should a married woman ever be friends with a man, but he says it's okay for a married man to be friends with a woman.......
    SapphireRose85

Comment by SapphireRose85 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Of course it is. I have a lot of male friends. Some that I have been friends with forever.
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 1:22 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• fine... but what do you mean "talks to ALL the time"?

If they are sharing more than they share with their partners then YES it is wrong.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 1:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• if they are crossing marital boundaries then it is wrong. But if they are respecting their spouses then I guess its ok.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:03 PM on Oct. 31, 2010