PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

My son is 7 weeks old and ever since I've brought him home from the hospital he has been a gassy fussy baby, I have been breast feeding and supplementing ever since he was born. He started off with Enfemil Premium Lipil, then the doctor switched him to Enfemil Gentlease, and then out of the blue on Tuesday he started to get REALLY bad...crying very hard, tightening his legs...I know he has gas and is constipated! I called the doctor, and he switched him to Prosobee (soy) and he's been drinking that since Thursday, and no change! I've also used Mylacon and had to resort to Glicerin supposotories. Help! What is wrong? Is this normal? And what can I do to get rid of this? And how long will it last?

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 1:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• It is very normal, you have a colicy baby, it can be exasperating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all you can do after everything you have tried cuddle him and comfort. I had one of those, I use to make a tea with anise and give it to her in her water, it helped a bit but this is a period that you will just have to wait out, it can last a couple of months or more. Hang in there mom! all these bad stages come and go!

Answer by older at 1:34 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Try bicycling his legs and burp frequently. Anyway that you can try to increase the breast feeding and decrease the formula? BM is easier to digest. What about your diet? What you eat can pass through BM. Are his stools constipated and hard for him to pass? many kids experience this-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I agree sounds like he is colicy! I would try lying him over your knees and rubbing his back. Try walking him around or putting him in a swing. It is very hard when your children are colicy like this and you feel like there is nothing you can do. Hang in there is should pass, once he is old enough I would try a little water with sugar or molasses. I did this with my DD and it worked well. I also started her on food earlier then normal. She was my third child so we started cereal at 2 1/2 - 3 months.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Try enfamil lactofree that was the only one that worked for my kids because even the soy formula didnt sit well with them
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I dont know if they have it anymore but I gave my son gas drops, mylanta or mylicon? and he was great, he eventually grew out of it. Also we had to burp him pretty hard until he would like... man burp
    keepswimming

Answer by keepswimming at 1:53 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• my son was this way as well.. he cried 8 hrs straight one day, we tried everything, bicycling his legs, rubbing his belly on his back and on this stomach. Chamomile tea, the drops.

He got older and we switched to similac for gassy and fussy babies and it helped.

good luck, I think my baby swing kept me sane.. lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My DD was the SAME way bicycling his legs and burping frequently, also when you are feeding him burp him ever ounce and when he is all done eating keep him up right for 30-45 minutes don't allow him to lay flat even if he is sleeping hold him up right. He will get better my DD is 2 and she still has problems at time depending on what she eats sometime things will cause her a problem and then that same thing will not cause any problems. My DD has acid reflux and they told us that after we brought her to a GI specialist. It will get better I promise. Ask his doctor to be referred to a GI specialist.

If you would like to talk more about this please e- mail anytime.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:36 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Totally normal. It will pass.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 5:58 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Try to breastfeed more, and stop formula for a while

Answer by rkoloms at 8:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I'm sorry, I know how you feel both of my boys were colic. What about Nutramigen or Alimentem. Its' lactose free. My doctor said soy formula does not help most babies with lactose intolerance, and maybe that's what it is. Unfortunately, once you try everything its just a matter of time. Sometimes they just have to grow out of. Try warm water to push the gas through and a heating pad on his belly. Maybe even try the old fashion bottles that you squeeze the air out of. Good Luck. And message me if you ever need to talk to someone that completely knows where you are coming from.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2010