MY SON IS 4 DAYS OLD AND HASN'T HAD A BOWEL MOVEMENT IN 3 DAYS - WHAT CAN/SHOULD I DO?

Cassidy323

Asked by Cassidy323 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would take him to a pediatrician
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• If he's breastfed its normal. Breast milk digests more completely than formula so its normal for a BF'd baby to go several days w/o a bowel movement. My daughter did this, and I freaked. I took her to the DR and the dr said it was normal.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• This WOULD be normal for an EBF baby, if baby was a little older. I would put a call to the pedi in. Is he wetting diapers? Is he jaundiced? Is he on breast, formula, both?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Try a little apple juice with water or white grape juice with water. It always works. Let me know. It is not normal for all babies. What is normal is for babies to have consistant bowel movements.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:55 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• DS was 6 days old before he had a BM out of the hospital. It's normal. Might call your peditrician and ask if you should try to stimulate him a little. Our ped suggested we use the rectal thermometer with a little vaseline on it to stimulate his sphincter muscles. It did work by the third time, and we tried this method every two-four hours.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• That happened to my son when he was a baby. The pediatrician told me to out and buy KARO SYRUP it is found in the baking aisle of your local supermarket. Give him a spoonful mixed with a cup of water to drink, and it will work magic. It did for my son.
    babysavy9

Answer by babysavy9 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Yeah, give him corn syrup. Great idea.
    Breast milk (and to a lesser extent formula) is an exceptionally efficient food. Your infant isn't pooping because he isn't creating much waste. My son didn't poop for 5 days after we brought him home.
    There is actually a thing you can buy that will help stimulate his colon, but a thermometer works just as well. Or, just relax. Pooping is a result of a reflex, and that reflex doesn't trigger until there is a certain amount of waste to be removed from the body.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 2:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Lots of ideas here, but safest is to call your pediatrician. Babies can go 3-4 days without a bowel movement.
    Anonymous

• Sweetie I would take him to get checked up.Something might be wrong.
    My_Darling_Luna

Answer by My_Darling_Luna at 7:08 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Juice, corn syrup...is anyone here realizing that this baby is only FOUR DAYS OLD???? No Karo for babies, it has a risk of botulism poisoning, like honey does. Their website specifically states NOT to give this to infants. I would not do ANYTHING that anyone here suggested, because of the age. Speak to the dr.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 31, 2010