Is it normal for parent that take small kids trick or treating to not dress up themselves?

This will be our first time taking our kids trick or treating. They are 2 1/2 and 10 months. We aren't going to be out long, and its mostly about having fun as our kids don't eat candy yet. I will of course make an exception for my 2 1/2 year old to have some. But anyways we (my DH and myself aren't dressing up this year.) I was talking to my mom last night about it and she said obviously there are no rules, you don't have to but you should. Well to be honest we can't afford it, and we aren't creative enough to make outfits. But my sisters don't dress up either. I will be walking my kids up to doors, holding one and DH holding the eldest hand, is it weird that we won't be in costume, or is that normal? Again.. this is my first time.. I'm new to it.. Be nice please.

Amelia512

Asked by Amelia512 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Holidays

• i think it is. i haven't dressed up with my byos and they seem to enjoy it just the same as if everyone else was dressed up.
    SapphireRose85

Answer by SapphireRose85 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Just dress comforatable and enjoy your little ones. I'm going to wear a t-shirt that say,"You can't scare me....I have kids!" and jeans. My sister is wearing the complimentary shirt that says,"You can't scare me.....I have a mother in law!"
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 1:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I don't think you have to and I don't think people expect you to. I would do whatever is easiet for your family.

Have fun and enjoy your night!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Very normal...............most parents are past the costume stage...............

Answer by older at 1:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Its normal I dont always dress up :)
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:51 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I rarely see adults dress up to take kids out where we live. I don't. I just wear my Happy Halloween shirt. I do have a silly hat that looks like a big candy corn that I wear some times. That's about it.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I have never--in 16 years of taking kids trick or treating--dressed up to take the kids out.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I think it's normal. I don't dress up.
    Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• DH does not dress up and neither do most other parents around her. I do put on something little like kitty ears or something. My daughter is a unicorn this year and wants me to be too so I made a horn for my head too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:59 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I am gonna paint my face up cool but that is mostly cause i told the kids I would. Halloween is for my kids not for us(my hubby and I) Normally i paint my face up and I sit and wait for the kids to come to the door. I do alot with my yard and front door also getting the kids ready so no i don't have time to do up myself. Most of the parents that i know, that have LO they aren't dressed up.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:01 PM on Oct. 31, 2010