Should they hit back?

Last Friday, my older two children got suspended (for the following Monday) for fighting and we had to physically take them to school and have a meeting with their principal before they were allowed back to school. We've taught them that they should never start a fight, but if someone hits them, they have the right to defend themselves (which got them suspended). My question is are we wrong for this or should we tell them to go to the principal or teacher or just let anothe student hit them and do nothing?

LovingParent08

Asked by LovingParent08 at 8:38 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in General Parenting

• I have always told my kids the same thing. They have tried going to the teacher and the other kid never gets into trouble because the teacher will say I have to see it happen, so I told them to stand up for themselves and if they get suspended for it they will not get into trouble at home and I will make sure the school knows it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:49 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• They should go straight to a teacher if they are hit, b/c kids lie and can say "he hit me first" among other things. The other thing, in my state you can now go to jail if you defend yourself (ya stupid I know) it no longer matters who hit first. Just tell your kids to walk away if they can.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 8:42 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• The first thing they should do is walk away and seek help from an adult, but if they can't walk away then they need to defend themselves..... that's what I was taught and that is what I've taught my children.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:42 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• oh and when I say can't I mean it's physically impossible. And they shouldn't just stand there defending themselves, they need to try to get away too.... so it's more like defending to get away.....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:45 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I agree with SAHMinlL
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 8:46 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I've never told them to try to walk away and now I fell a screwed up parent for not. I know this probably sounds like I'm going on and on, but it's still bothering yano what I mean?
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Yep, we understand but you are NOT a bad parent.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 8:48 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Now I agree with Christinemg0813....it doesn't sound like your a bad parent. Parenting = ON the job training!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:51 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• THANK YOU SO MUCH MOMS for helping me to feel a little better about this, I really appreciate it.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 9:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My ds was suspended for the same thing in 7th grade, he had problems with this kid pushing him and walking by and hitting him in the halls, went to the closest teacher, the guidance counselor, the principle and NOTHING was done! My dh finally said "do not throw the first punch but defend yourself" that day I got a call saying ds was getting suspended for fighting and we would be lucky if the other parents didn't press charges-he really kicked the kids ass! No medical attention, but the kid was humiliated, I later learned the kid was put in in-school suspension and the family didn't even know!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 31, 2008