MY SON HAS BEEN IN NIU FOR 2 MONTHS ALREADY. HE WAS BORN 3 MONTHS EARLY, HOW LONG DOES HE HAVE TO STAY IN NICU?

TIFFANEE2010

Asked by TIFFANEE2010 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• I believe they typically keep them in until they were suppose to be born. So probably another month assuming all goes well. GL
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Until he can maintain his own body temp, has adequate fluid intake etc.. A lot of factors are involved.. Don't rush it mom, I know you want your baby home but you don't want him coming out too soon either..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• It all depends on how he is doing. My twins were born two months premature. I was told from the beginning that they would be there until their original due date. Both ended up coming home after 3 weeks of being in there. I was super excited that they got to come home so early when they kept telling me they wouldn't. Have you talked to the NICU doctors or nurses about when you can expect him to be home and how his progress is coming?
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Yup I agree it defiantely depends on his progress and no they don't always wait til you were originally due because 1 of my sons was born at 33 weeks 5 days and only stayed in the hospital for 11 days.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 2:22 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• WELL THANK U LADIES!!! MY SON IS DOING WELL NOW, HE MAINTAINS HIS OWN TEMP. HES NOW FEEDING FROM A BOTTLE 1 TIME A DAY, SO HOW MANY TIMES DO HAVE TO EAT FROM A BOTTLE B4 HE COMES HOME? HIS DUE DATE IS NOVEMBER 22, SO U THINK HE WILL BE HOME B4 THANKSGIVING? HES NOW ON 1 LITER OF NASAL QUMULA.
    TIFFANEE2010

Comment by TIFFANEE2010 (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• He should be taking a bottle by mouth at least every three hours.. One bottle a day is progress but it is not enough for most NICU docs to let him go home yet.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:03 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Usully the standard is breathing on own , taking all feedings from breast or bottle for 24 hours, maintaing body temp, gaining weight accordingly and not having any "special issues" like sleep apnea,jaundice ect.

We've had all3 of ours have to stay in the NICU and they all had different things going on. It really is the best place for them, Id say your guy is well on his way but definitly has to be taking all feedings from breast or bottle before they allow him home. Sometimes with specail feeeding issues they will send home with g-tubes ect but not normally. Good luck MAMA!!
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Usually till their due date. They have to be over 4lbs, feeding without tubes, holding own body temp.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• How about you ask your OB/the doctor who delivered your baby? They'll be able to give you an explanation and let you know when he'll be able to come home. There aren't many moms on here who are medically trained to give you the true answer to this. There are too many things to take into consideration.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 5:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2010