can't put 5 month old down

So, my 5 month old son kind of cries, fusses whenenver I put him down. Sometimes he's fine for a minute and then he'll fuss and then start yelling ya know until I pick him up. Now, I am a SAHM and my husband travels a lot. I don't want my son to be spoiled. How long should I let him fuss for? Will he stop? I try to give him a couple minutes so he doesn't expect me to always pick him up... need some tips from experienced moms and I can't do the sling...it breaks my back he's 18+ pounds

FACMom

Asked by FACMom at 8:42 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes you just have to let them cry and it's OK. Put him in the playpen for a little bit with some of his toys. You can get done what needs to be around the house, or just relax and you can still interact with him.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Sometimes you need to let them cry it out, I agree with the above poster, give him some toys to play with and you will find you don't need to hold him all the time. This happened with my son because his daycare provider would hold him for hours and never let him fuss so by the time I got home from work I couldn't do anything because he wanted to be held constantly, I put a stop to that real quick.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:55 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Also, you may want to try a walker or saucer in the room with you... For example if you are trying to do dishes he can be in the walker/saucer in the kitchen with you, and if he starts to get upset you can say it's "Okay honey, I'm right here and as soon as I'm done with dishes, I'll get you out". Then follow through with your words.... granted he may not fully understand...but it will help for when he does fully understand what you are say......
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:00 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Have you tried the swing, bouncer, excersaucer, or whatever else there is now...put him in one for at least 5-10 mintues, when he starts fussing try putting him in a different one. Also maybe put him where he can see you, talk to him but do not pick him up.
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 12:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• he is fine, just put him in his swing or give him some toys
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 31, 2008