I am debating between the Mirena IUD or Tubal ligation? any advice?

I have always wanted a large family lots of kids, which I have. I have 4 kids and 5 months pregnant. But I have always wanted 7 kids in my life. I am not sure if I should get my tubes tied or not yet. I might regret it later. Because I still want to have 2 more, but i might just be too old for that. I am 36 years old. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have a Mirena and it is a love hate relationship.. I hate it because it works and the first few months were just painful and allot of spotting... but now I do not get a cycle and it is pure heaven. Once my husband gets a job (recently unemployed) we plan to get it out and try for number 2.. but I plan on getting my tubes tied after that because we will be done with our family. I don't know if this helped you at all.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 2:58 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I've heard a lot of bad reviews on Mirena IDK about the IUD and as far as tubal if you go that route they have 2 options available reversable and permanent. The reversable king is done by putting a ring or band on your tubes which can loosen and break after about 5 years (thats what happened to me im due in december) and the permanent kind is where they cut and burn them. Have you thought about getting a depo shot every 3 months? Depo will stop you from having periods while your on it.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 3:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• If you're not sure, don't get a tubal. I wouldn't recommend any IUD either though. Talk to your doc or ob/gyn about other birth control options. I personally loved the depo shot. Regardless of your age, if you're torn about having more kids, don't get a tubal yet.
    Anonymous

• I've heard bad things about the IUD's. my sister in law had one and had a horrible reaction and said it was very painful situation and her and my brother tried to get pregnant for a year after the IUD and it took that whole year before they were able to concieve and she blames the iud because she read it can cause that. idk i would never it personally
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 3:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My friend has Mirena and loves it. If you are thinking you might want more kids I would not do a tubal. I am sure I am done and my husband got a vasectomy, less invasive and just as effective as a tubal.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• If those are the only two, I'd go with the tubal. I'm considering something called Essure and I've heard many good things, as well as bad, about it. The biggest negative I've heard about Essure is that you need to get an allergy to nickel test done first.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 5:22 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Age is relative. However, 36 is still young. If you still think you may want more children, don't get a tubal done. That's pretty much permanent. I would talk with your OB about your options, and weigh the pros and cons of all birth control options. Good luck!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 6:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I had Mirena and loved it. I didn't have a period almost the entire time I was on it. If you aren't sure if you are done, I wouldn't get a tubal.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:00 AM on Nov. 2, 2010