I'm not quite sure I understand.

The other day someone I know posted on facebook this whole long story about how she saved $3 on a pack of crayons (she is a huge coupon/bargain shopper). At the end of the story she posted about how great god is, because he allowed her to save that money. She specifically credited god for this act.

I couldn't help but think, what kind of god cares so much about saving you $3, while there are starving children. Children being molested and beaten, probably at that very moment. Do you really think your god cares so much that he goes out of his way to save you $3, but cares so little as to stop suffering?

I am so confused by these types of believers. How do you reconcile things like that? It doesn't make any sense to me.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 2:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think people confuse the gift of strength with material things. I do not believe that God grants material things but rather strength, courage and wisdom. Maybe thanking God for the wisdom to save money is appropriate. As far as the sick and starving- hopefully if they believe in God- he also grants them strength and courage to deal with their situation and the wisdom for their people to make a better life. I think he grants us all these gifts equally-it is our circumstances that are different and that comes from free will and the granting us of our own lives to live.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:09 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I used to wonder the same thing....and feel angry....I believe God cares about every detail of our lives....but it is through us that He works....when there is suffering in this world....it is our failure to allow God to work through us to relieve the suffering.....and I believe we are all collectively responsible for our failures and triumphs......We are in this world together and we must somehow learn to love one another and work together....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• "Many of these people that are ministered to in these countries are getting joy and happiness regardless of their circumstance... "

Thats easy to say as you sit on your nice chair typing on a computer, with lights around you, heat or ac for your home, food in your fridge at your disposal, and anything you could want or need at your ready. It's a nice illusion though, that supports your idea of what your god does for those poor, starving people.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I think some people feel it is necsessary to thank God for everything...its just automatic and not even thought through at all. Just on auto pilot. I really don't think that God helped her find a good deal on crayons. SHE did.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I like what Anna had to say........

Answer by older at 3:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• God cares about ALL the details. It's' not that the couponer is on auto pilot thanking God for her savings, she thanks Him because in all things we are to be thankful (and yes I know that phrase is going to be twisted. Go ahead. I'm saying my peace anyway). While you are talking about how God does not care about starving children in the world, may I respectfully ask, what are you doing yourself about the starving children? Or the ones being murdered, some even before they are born? Or the neighbor who lost his job and can't feed his family? Are you helping or complaining? I'm not bashing, mind you, just answering your question. God is there in every situation. He puts it on people's hearts to get outraged about a situation and do something about it. But he also gives everyone --you, me, politicians, rapists and murderers, choice. Sorry hon, but God isn't a fairy godfather. He wont fix everything in this world. We can.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 6:08 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Oh, I don't really think that way either. I mean, its not a huge deal to me that people do, I just don't. I just don't believe God is quite so involved in our day to day lives....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Its all about perspective. One man's trash is another's treasure. ..or blessing. Big deal if someone wants to credit a higher being with something so seemingly worthless, as compared to providing for a hungry belly? There's a lot to be said for appreciating the small doses of good a person experiences. At least the crayon-buyer wasn't moaning about how no one will buy her crayons for her!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:08 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I don't try to reconcile it because this is her belief and I accept that to her this was a gift from God, other people would feel differently.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Just because a person believes something - even if it's a Christian believing something - doesn't mean that it resembles reality.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:16 AM on Nov. 1, 2010