Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

I am married, but separated for 2 years. I am pregnant with another man's baby.

Can I use the baby's father last name in his birth certificate? Or can I use mine?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (10)
  • either. Check with your states' laws. Some have it where any child conceived while married is your husband's kid regardless of paternity

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • With you still being married even though you are seperated you will have to have your husband to go up to the hospital when you deliver and have him sign an affidavit stating that he is not the childs father.

    Answer by 405mom at 3:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • Legally this child be considered your husbands child because although separated you haven't legally divorced. As far as the certificate, I guess they might allow you to do that because they do not know your story, if they did they wouldn't be able to use any other name than the one you had after marriage.

    Answer by older at 3:17 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • You can use any name you want on the birth certificate!! However for child support becausee you are still married the baby could automatically be assumed your husbands. You will need to clarigy that.

    Answer by mom2priceboys at 3:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • Call an attorney or check the laws in your state. This is a complicated question, and it really depends on your state's laws.

    Answer by ohwrite at 3:44 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • I guess that would be up to you. I'm not really sure what the rules are about that but id say it would be up to you what your babies last name will be

    Answer by saracopeland101 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • One of the question asked in the hospital is : ( in my hospital atleast)

    Is your husband the childs father?
    If the child does not belong to your father ( they have a space for the name,)

    YOu shouldn't have slept around while you were still married seperated or not you shouldn't have. YOu should have gotten a divorce and you wouldn't have to worry about stuff like this.

    Answer by Claudiomom at 4:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • You can use either, I believe

    Answer by LiLJeni at 4:43 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • 1.Try to use both last names in the name(ex: Joelynn James Jordon)
    2. Pick which name sounds best with the child
    3.Or pick whatever the heck you want

    Answer by My_Darling_Luna at 7:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • use his first than yours. add both names

    Answer by canta1980 at 11:55 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.