money.

This was in the los angeles time. Kobe Bryant is said to get offered $135 million over five years. Are you serious! So I sat her and started thinking what do are soldiers get paid? I’m sure their life is worth more than a basketball player. Let me explain what I mean…you seriously get paid more money to make points than possibly loosing your life!? This makes me very upset... what if the soldier dies and has a family? What happens to them? Do the have what they need to provide for themselves? What do you think about this?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 8:59 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here's my horrible shocking thought. Sports that are marketed competitively,and that recruit competitively should be taken out of colleges.

When you have thousands of kids every year fighting for slots in schools because they are seeking higher education, (in college prep and advanced placement high school classes, the competition is intense and comes down to tenths of a grade point for rankings) to watch a school shell out money to recruit a kid who is there to bring in the high scores and up the schools rankings and the kid attends classes 'just to get by' and stay eligible rather than truly desires the education that comes in the curriculum, while a kid who worked hard to gain access to an EDUCATION gets overlooked so the school can do this, then I find myself really asking what's wrong with this picture.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I agree...entertainers often make the most money. Many make more than the leader of the country. It's ridiculous. Then you have taechers, the ones educating our future, getting paid miniscule amounts of money. It's a sad realization.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:02 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I think our society has gone off the deep end. We are fame obsessed, "we" being a relative term because personally, I could give a rat's patoot about celebrity. I think just about every actor, singer, sports star there is in the "A" tier is far overpaid for what they do. I am thankful that there are some who are willing to give back...as I think they all should. And for the life of me, I can NOT understand how someone can be making tens of millions every year when they are 23 and be broke by 35. It boggles the mind. When we learn, as a society, to put the emphasis on the people who truly deserve to be well paid, and stop putting people up on a pedestal for doing almost nothing at all, perhaps we can make some actual progress in this country. Teachers spring to mind. Researchers. Rescue workers. You know, the ones who actually DO something.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 9:40 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• to clarify: I have no problem with entertainers getting paid...I have no problem at all with anyone getting paid...what I have a problem with is the millions being thrown at them while there are people who slept on the sidewalk last night and teachers who are using their own credit cards to buy supplies for their class and firemen, EMT's, and servicemen who's families are struggling to put food on the table. It's an inequitable arrangement we have here, and it needs to change.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 9:42 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I so agree with jespeach
    tryingmom203

Answer by tryingmom203 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I totally agree with you on the way people are being paid for these things...Basketball players are really a waste of money...what do they do, run up and down a court making points and its not even everyday of their lives..its a few months of the year and then that is it... WOW....I should shit myself for that...there are many jobs out there that should be paid more but arent!!!
    Anonymous

• I do have to say that the government is doing a lot for the families of fallen soldiers. Before anyone jumps on me, I know this from personal experience. No money can never replace the loved one but they do get alot of money. If invested and used the right way can well support a family for an extremely long time.
    I do think celebrities are over paid, but it is the people of the US and world allowing it. It is us that buys the jerserys, tickets whatever to get them the money.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Soniam301, They get *some* money, but depending on the size of the family and the situation they are in, more often than not it is barely enough to subsist on, much less invest.

As far as the comment on celebrities, that was my point, really...we (as a society, not you and I personally) are the ones who placed the value on fame. Want a perfect example? Paris Hilton. 'Nuff said.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My sis is serving our country over seas--Afghanistan---her baby is here with our mom, and if she doesn't come home, my DH and I will be raising her DS. I already know what money we would get as my nephew's care giver, if my sister was not to come home, and it's MORE then enough to support my family, which then would include my nephew.

Of course none of us want that we pray every day for my sister's safe return.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• We overpay adults to play. Having a career in which you get to do something you enjoy for a living should be bonus enough, and making a stable, but not exorbitant living should be more than enough compensation.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2008