SAHM's how much time....

I have a 3 yr old and an almost 2 yr old and expecting our 3rd in a month. Just wondering how much time do you actually sit down and play or teach your kids? I feel like I don't do enough with them...I feel like I spend more time with house work and going places and just doing things for them then actually sitting with them. Just wondering...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• I make sure that I take at least a hour (if not more) out of my day to teach my kids something new. I try to do it inbetween laundry loads or while I am folding clothes they will be at the table playing with flash cards or memory cards. By the way, my kids are 3 & 4.
    Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 3:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• You got to set aside some time specifically for this.

Answer by older at 3:44 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I always set time aside each day when, I play in the floor with my 19 month old. I also spend time showing him flash cards and we sometimes watch your baby can read
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 3:44 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I think if you make the choice to stay at home with your kids, they are receiving something special. But you are also making the choice of not giving them the educational opportunity other children are getting. You need to make a conscious effort to set a couple hours a day to include educational activities even at this age if you want them to keep up with the other children they will be attending school with. The running and house cleaning can wait for when you have an opening in your day. And especially since you have another coming soon it is especially important to have schedule in place. You are going to be tired and want to put it on the back burner. That is why I think even daycare a couple days a week benefits a child in their social and cognitive development and it takes the pressure off of you a little bit. Gone are the days of just staying home and giving them whatever they get.
    Anonymous

• We do learning through play, she has to to sit down and learn in school. So we just have fun.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I raised 3 children while taking care of the house, yard, and just about everything else because my husband worked very long hours. I did not have time to sit down and play with them or teach them. They went with me everywhere I went, and they followed just about every step I made when they were little. I am happy to report that they are all college graduates with advanced degrees and are all solid, contributing citizens to their communities. Sometimes children learn important lessons from just observing what it takes to keep a family running, and that can be of far more benefit that their growing up, thinking the whole world revolves around them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Oh I feel the same way. In the morning we sit and go over ABC's/numbers/shapes/etc and color and do some activities, so he gets a good hour or two at least. My grandmother, when I was talking to her the other day about how I feel like I don't do enough, said that as long as I get one good hour with him its okay, which made me feel a little better.

Usually I take a little time for me right when we get up so I can wake up, and he'll play with his father or something, and once I'm done we'll spend the rest of the time until lunch working on activities or going over things (so from around 10 to about 12). Our day falls apart after lunch, though, because he's gotten to where its so hard to get him to nap anymore. (he's almost three) But the mornings are always really good. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I set time aside each day to actively play with my son (which is one way they learn at a young age) and I also try to read to him at least an hour a day. I do some chores while he's sleeping, but I purposely do some things while he's awake (sometimes because they're loud--like the vacuum), but also because I think it's good for him to see these things aren't magically done. If I do the dishes, sometimes he goes over to his play kitchen and pretends to wash his dishes or cook something. He has his own Swiffer to 'help' dust because he always take mine from me. There are a lot of ways to learn, and they need to learn practical things as well as scholarly type things in my opinion. We also sing songs and stuff like that while we do other things, so that helps with learning vocabulary and music as well. Just have fun and try to do a variety of things each day. If you ran a lot of errands one day, play longer another. :-)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I used to beat myself up about that same thing... until I realized that LIFE is a lesson in itself. Dont worry... make cleaning a game. Have them help. Even at such a young age they can help. Have them sort socks... learn colors that way. Have them help with cleaning (just choose your cleaning products accordingly) and they can give you paper towels,.... learn to count this way - Mommy needs 3 paper towels. Have them help in the grocery... mommy needs to find the cereal in the yellow box that starts wtih the letter C.  As they get older I had them do math in the market.  We played with pudding to learn how to write letters... they LOVED this.  I let them spread pudding on a plate and use their finger to make letters.

Just be creative and let them help you........ yes it will take longer........ but it will be things they remember with a smile when they are older.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:20 PM on Oct. 31, 2010