As a single mother, would you join the armed forces?

For the benefits? Would you sacrifice watching your child grow up to give him a better life?

Luisa621

Asked by Luisa621 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would not. Its a very heroic thing to do and thank God people do it. But children need their mother especially if they are the only parent. You owe it to your kids to stay safe and healthy until they can fend for themselves.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I would not. If you get deployed and die, what happens then? I'm sorry, but that isn't a risk I would take nor would I call joining the military "a better life". My husbands in it, and I can only try and tell you how little he is actually home and the REAL sacrifices that have came from his decision.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• That would be a tough call to make. But if the proper support system is in place, why not?
    ta2dirishlass

Answer by ta2dirishlass at 3:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• No, I would not even consider it as a married mom. I've seen too many kids whose moms made that choice feel abandoned and did not have a close relationship with their mom. I don't want that for me and my kids. I'm not knocking the armed forces, I just don't think it's the best career choice for me as a mom.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Definately not! I know that the benefits might help you and your child but I can't imagine not seeing my daughter every day and watching her grow. They change so much and do something new on a daily basis, so I would have to say no, I most definately could not join the armed forces!
    Kerriew25

Answer by Kerriew25 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Nope no way no how.. I would never want to risk putting my life in danger.. or having to leave my child while I went over seas.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 4:02 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Never. A 'better life' as you put it would mean being with their mom.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I was going to before I had my son. After he was born though I was going to join and was told I'd have to sign over custody of my child there's no way I would do that
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 4:40 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• You have to be willing to sign over custody.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:06 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I was in the Navy. I got out before getting pregnant specifically so I wouldn't have to leave my baby and go out to sea for months at a time. So no, I personally would not. However, I don't think it's the worst idea.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 31, 2010