Potty training: my son refuses to poop in the potty

Anyone else have or had a kid who just won't poop in the potty (or toilet)?

My almost 3-year-old can pee in his potty just fine (though I still have to remind him to go), but in the 2 weeks since we've been potty training, he has pooped in his potty once. And that was the first time, which he actually informed me he had to go and held it until I got him to his potty - LOL beginner's luck.

When I do catch him starting to poop, I try to bring him to the potty as quickly as possible, but by the time we get there, he's either holding it back up or he's let it all out - basically, no more poop in the potty. Doesn't matter if the potty is a couple of steps away or a couple of feet away, he's just DONE by the time we get there.

Also doesn't matter if he's wearing undies or bare-bottomed. I either get poop in the undies or on my floor. (Thankfully, only one time on carpet.)

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 3:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe you could try bribing him a lil lol my friend got her son to start pooping in the potty by promising him two m&m's for number 2 and one for number one! it worked Great
    saracopeland101

Answer by saracopeland101 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My son has been peeing in the toilet for 5 months and still doesn't get the pooping thing either. He holds it in, pry the same as your son. I actually had a friend tell me if he is still having problems closer to 3 to try this....when he poops his pants, especially when you say "Are you pooping" or "Do you need to poop", etc.... well, to clean him off, put him in the tub and clean his butt off with cold water. Sounds terrible, but I wipe my son now with a cold wash cloth and tell him when he fusses "If you don't like me wiping you with a cold wash cloth you should poop in the toilet, not your pants. Where do we poop? In the toilet." I guess a relative of my friends did this with her kids and suggested to others and they get the idea real quick. Good luck, pooping is a hard process.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:59 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Unfortunately, my son seems to be immune to bribery when it comes to poop. I've tried treats, bigger stickers, new books, new markers, and I've even tried taking away a favorite toy in an attempt to have him "earn" it back if he goes poop in the potty. LOL he could care less about any of that stuff.

Hmmm, I'll have to try cold water next! ;)
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• One mom on here suggested sitting on the potty at a table near the TV and sit there with him doing coloring and such for a long time. Make a big deal when he finally goes. Also the 3 day method is supposedly very good. Goggle it and read about it online.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:28 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Try putting one square of toilet paper in the potty and ask him to sink it. This worked for my son. Hope it works for you too!
    Zanna810

Answer by Zanna810 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• i've tried the cold shower...ds loved it most of the time lol so that doesnt work for me! I bumped ya OP!!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• This to me is a clear power struggle not a potty issue. Deal with it in the manner you have with other power struggles.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Tried the cold water (from the waist down) and my son could care less. :|

And I really thought we were going to get somewhere today. We calmly talked about where the poop is supposed to go - in the potty and not on Buzz (his underwear) - he even sat down and I swear tried to push it out. When nothing came out, we said we'd try again later, and to let me know when he needs to go. Writing an email, I check in on him and say again to let me know if he needs to poop, and he tells me "Not yet." A minute later, he got quiet, and sure enough, poop. Tried to rush him as quickly as I could to the potty, letting it drop in cup and all, but he wouldn't sit down for longer than a second.

I'm honestly stumped at this point. One friend suggested to just stop everything and take a break. But we already did that when he first wouldn't pee, and I'm afraid of stopping now since most of the time he'll pee in the potty.
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2010