How long is it okay to babywear?

Hi ladies, I have a 7 month old son who still loves to be worn. I'd like to keep wearing him as long as possible, but how long is too long? He's very active and spends lots of time crawling and playing, pulling himself up, ect. But there are just sometimes he wants to be worn, and I love it! I wear him everywhere. I was also wondering if you could provide some links or ideas on how to make my own wrap? Thanks in advance! :)

listentolizzie

Asked by listentolizzie at 3:59 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think as you and baby are happy. It's great.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• There is one brand called Ergobaby that makes a great carrier. It can be worn on the side, front, and back. It goes up to 40lbs. It also has a great safety feature that prevents the clip from coming undone so baby stays safe. It comes in organic cotton w/ different colors & patterns. There's also an original and sport style carrier.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• depends on how strong your back is.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Since I had my kids in 1967-1971, I was unfamiliar with the term "weaing a baby",UNTIL now. LOL. That's cute! I never WORE kids,I carried them a lot and learned to do all kinds of things with one hand---cooking,etc. while holding them.They had not yet invented baby carriers.
    You do what you can,right?:-)
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I know a mom who is still wearing her 14 month old. I think as long as your back can handle it. I have seen patterns for wraps. Any good fabric store will have a selection of pattern books to look at.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:25 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I think as long as you both are happy with it then as long as you want.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 4:39 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• It really matters how much pounds they are.My baby almost broke my back,so I stuck with strollers.
    My_Darling_Luna

Answer by My_Darling_Luna at 7:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• In many cultures children ride until age 3 or 4 and then the can carry, Go here for style info and how to make your own http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1582037/Babywearing_Traditional_Styles
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I believe the Moby style wraps, ring slings, and MeiTai carriers have a weight limit of 35ish lbs. Of course this varies with each individual product, but that's an idea. Other then that, it's up to you, and your baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My son is 2, and I still wear him sometimes. He's very active and fit, but he takes great naps on my back. Plus, we love the bonding. I wear him my ErgoBaby, which goes up to 40 lbs. (he's only 28)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:14 AM on Nov. 1, 2010