Did you get your candy x-rayed as a kid?

I just remembered that we took our candy to McDonalds in our area when I still lived in Michigan as a child, and they x-rayed everyone's candy after trick or treating. Now that I know the only cases where someone was poisoned by candy occurred when they knew the people who tampered with it, it seems a little crazy to have taken the time to have it x-rayed. Just curious if other areas used to do this too.

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Holidays

• My parents never did that. Heck with nine kids they were probably thinking "oh heck if one or two of them gets knocked off were still ok"...
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• This is the article that made me think of it:

Stranger Danger and the Decline of Halloween
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• We never did that..
    lovemytwinsters

Answer by lovemytwinsters at 4:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I didn't but my children did, all our local hospitals use their x-ray machines for anyone who wants to do it on Halloween day.

Answer by older at 4:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• We used to do that with our boys when stationed in CA. There wa one year someone was sticking needles into candy bars. So yeah, we did.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• That's what I was wondering, whether it was due to paranoia or if there were real cases where it happened so it was a smart thing to do. I don't remember why we did it in our area, because I was pretty young when I lived there. When I read that no child has been killed by tampered candy unless they knew the person, it makes me wonder if it's because no one was tampering or if these efforts to keep candy safe were actually a good idea. I'll probably just inspect the candy wrappers and throw out anything not packaged--at least if it's from someone we don't know.
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I never heard of that but I do remember when there was a huge issue with razors in apples and needles in candy. I just don't get the thrill of hurting kids with candy...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I have never even heard of that.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 4:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I had never heard of it until this year. I guess because I grew up in small town America we didn't really think about it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• LOL@mmmegan38
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Oct. 31, 2010