Wasted Vote

Would voting independent be a wasted vote? I mean, no one besides a republican or democrat even stands a chance, though I wish that weren't true. I'm sick and tired of being lied to, all the political drama, the way these elections divide our country rather than unite it, etc. This is caused by both sides, and I'm tired of it! I wish the green party would grow to the point where it overtakes both the republicans and the democrats so we can FINALLY be one country again! This whole two party system sucks!

icook

Asked by icook at 9:05 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I would favor an Independent, if more people would simply send that Independent vote in and start contributing money to that campaign it would make a difference. I don't think it woul be a wasted vote IF we had so many more to actually cast that vote during the general election. There are really good guys on the Independent side, it's sad really.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• No... it wouldnt be a wasted vote, I know quiet a few people who are voting independent. You are taking votes from the republicans & the democrats, Which of course makes it harder for them to win. I agree with PP, If those who are really for the independent party would put more money into it, they would have a greater chance to win.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 9:19 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• It is most unfortuneate, however, a vote for other than Dem or Republic is in essence a throw away vote. I agree, there should be more than one or the other choice. There are many things I agree with the Independant and the Libertarian parties, however, it is really only the two major parties.
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 9:20 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• yes, it does. I hate that because I lean more towards libertarian. I would say that in this election, you would be wasting it. Vote Mccain...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:22 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Usually, the liberatarians are more on the conservative side, so just enough votes that are given to a party that we know will not win, is dividing the conservative vote. The liberal votes are not usually divided which means they would likely win. My opinion is that if you want to really make a third party change, do it LOOOONG before an election. Recruit and smather their name everywhere in order to let them be seen as a viable option. Otherwise, the Republican support is divided. What a shame. just my opinion, which literally means nothing.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:26 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• lifeasinoit lifea... Usually, the liberatarians are more on the conservative side, so just enough votes that are given to a party that we know will not win, is dividing the conservative vote. The liberal votes are not usually divided which means they would likely win. My opinion is that if you want to really make a third party change, do it LOOOONG before an election. Recruit and smather their name everywhere in order to let them be seen as a viable option. Otherwise, the Republican support is divided. What a shame. just my opinion, which literally means nothing.

Good answer lifeasinoit!!you rock

McCainPalin

Answer by McCainPalin at 9:35 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I am voting for the lesser of the 2 evils, because, unfortunately, if I voted for who I really wanted to be president, it WOULD be a wasted vote. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• No I dont think so, it really annoys me too. I dont really like either and I am independant. It's just fustrating
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 10:13 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Voting independent is absolutely NOT a wasted vote. If you want the Green Party to grow to the point where they stand a chance then voting for them is the way to do it. A small percentage of votes can secure ballot access, political funding, and help them gain access to debates in the next election. Here is a post I wrote on the topic. http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1269933/Voting_3rd_party_is_not_a_wasted_vote
    There are many others. Search the journal post by using the keyword "third party" to find them.

runawaybunny

Answer by runawaybunny at 10:30 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Interesting, tho. that I never hear from the "3rd party" folks. They want another party that will grow, but not enough of the followers say enough or are willing to do what it takes to make everyone sit up and take notice. Therefore, again, the meek and quiet aren't heard and the vote is wasted.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:32 PM on Oct. 31, 2008