Can this guy do anything? I think he's pulling one over on us!

We sold an old snowmobile we have had for a long time because we don't use it. The price was delibaratly posted @ $800. The guy bought it for $700 and only brought $700 cash, showing he had no intentions of paying full price. He looked that thing up and down before he bought it, for like 30 minutes! He lives in another state. He calls us an hour later telling us the track was bent and we knew it. Whatever. We aren't mechanics, we never said it was tip top, and he did quite the inspection before purchase. We already paid the rent with the cash he paid us and he thinks he's gonna bring it back or pay even less. I really think this guy is trying to screw us. It was priced more than fair! Can he do anything to us? BTW we sold it off Craigslist.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Did you pass on the title to him and he signed it? if you did there is nothing he can do.

Answer by older at 4:13 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• He can't do anything. He took a look at it before he purchased and he confirmed it was fine before he left. Don't let him push you around and ignore his calls .. All sales are final
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 4:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Did it have titles or anything? Any proof that he purchased it? Was someone with him to witness the sale? If not, then there really isn't anything he can do. I wouldn't worry.

I sold my sofa on craigslist. There was one or two stains on it and the woman just did not want me to fully unwrap it. I sold it for 600.00. I was afraid that when she opened it she would be mad and call me. There was nothing she could do though, so I didn't worry.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• The title no longer exists because it got lost somewhere, but we have one on the way. HOWEVER, we did write up a purchase agreement with the serial number, the buyer and sellers names relinquishing ownership to the new buyer, and stating the title will be mailed to him in two weeks.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I didn't realize I posted anon! lol
    Musicmom80

• You signed an agreement.. It is binding and final. He signed, he took possession and paid you. Done. If he harrasses you call the police. Also give bad review on craigslist.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:20 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I believe any sale like this is always "as is". End of story...........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Thanks guys! I was thinking the same thing!! We have bought cars and appliances off craigslist and had to do some immediate repairs, but NEVER would we call up the previous owner and complain. We figured the old owners weren't mechanics so it wouldn't suprise me if some things needed to be done. You want a guarrantee, go to a dealership..
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I hate selling on craigs list because these kind come out of the woodwork. We had hubby's jeep listed on their a guy comes and buys it for $250 less than the asking price. Comes back the next day throwing a fit about all kinds of stuff with his girl friend's grandma - yelling and cussing and had already been to harass the person who notarized the bill of sale for us. Hubby gave him his money back to get rid of him and then we found out he had put a hole in the crank case. I will never use crags list again. I wanted to call the police and have them removed from our yard, hubby wanted to be nice. Basically, your item was sold as it. I would tell him that if he comes back he will find law enforcement to uphold the deal.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• He cant do anything.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 4:36 PM on Oct. 31, 2010