Exactly how do you make them do the "time out"?

I mean....do they actually stay in the spot. If they get up do you keep putting them back on the spot until they have completed their 1 min. And do you say anything before or after the time out? What do I do? I want to start doing time out but I don't know how to start.

mamma2bubba

Asked by mamma2bubba at 9:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter is 14 months old.. when she does something she shouldnt. we tell her NO then put her with her toys. she tends to go back to doin it. we tell her no again and mover her back.. she gets 3 NOs then the 4th time we just sit her on the ground next to us. she crys for a lil then gets up and doesnt do it again. But sometimes that doesnt work for people. they put their kid in a play pen to do time out.. u should only put them in time out a min for how ever old they r.. for ex 2yrs old 2 mins....
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:09 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Here's how I work time outs at my house: You go to time out 1 min for every year old you are. When I catch them doing something wrong I give them 1 warning and I state clearly "this is your warning...if I catch you doing it again you will have time out". When they go to time out I sit them in the same spot each time and tell them clearly why they are going to time out and for how many minutes. I set a timer. If they act up or move from the spot the time out starts over. After the time is up I go and tell them again why they went to time out and ask them to apologize to me and/or whoever they may have harmed. Then I give them a hug. This works pretty well ages 3 and up but I don't know how it would work for a 1 yr old....
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• my son is 14 months and he has this little spiderman couch...when he gets a time out we sit him on it and he tries to get off once or twice but once he realizes that he's in trouble he sits there for his min and then looks at me before getting up.....Of course I have to stand right there or else he won't stay lol but use one specific spot or thing for time out that way they know they are not there to play I don't use the play pen because I use it for his naps and when I'm mopping and I don't want him to think he's in trouble when I put him in it....good luck and don't give up!
    JuliaDanielle

Answer by JuliaDanielle at 10:04 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• no they are not going to stay in the spot and yes you just keep walking them back and sitting them back down and as far as what to say tell them that they are going to time out and why when they are done tell them that what they did wasn't very nice and every time they do it they are going to end up in time out and i would have them say they were sorry (
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• To start with, you either have to sit with them (no talking!) or you have to keep carrying them back (again, no talking!). Over time, they learn that time-out means stay-put. They'll keep testing you though... Does it count if I don't face my corner? Does it count if one foot is off the mat? Does it count if I sit on the floor next to my chair? Decide ahead of time just where your limits are and write down your decisions so you'll remember them over the years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Persistance... Just keep putting them back and don't talk to them if you have to just sit there next to them and not talk to them. Until there time is up, the important thing is before you leave them in time out make sure they know why you are putting them there. Then I ask them after time out too, why did I place you in time out? If they say they don't know (this is for older kids of course) I tell them again and make them go back for a couple more minutes. I want them to know their behavior was unacceptable. Its tougher on us moms than the kids really, but it does work.
    TJKUHN76

Answer by TJKUHN76 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My daughter is 15 months. Can we do time out? Will she understand? So far, I have just been saying no. It takes a few times but she eventually get it. We have been consistent. And to be honest, she doesn't really do too many things that warrant a time out.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2008