Is it normal for my 8 year old son to want to play video games instead of spend time with family?

When my son has a choice of playing on the computer or watching movies/playing card games with family, computer always wins. I'm curious if it is normal or should I be worried?

kourtneya

Asked by kourtneya at 4:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think that is the problem with computer games.... kids tend to gravitate that way. boys more so over girls at that age... imo
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• It is normal. Most boys will chose video/computer games over family time well into their older teen ages.
    Jacobismommy

Answer by Jacobismommy at 4:39 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I think it's normal. Kids that age are starting to develop more independence and want to be on their own more. I would set aside some family time, but don't force too much, he'll come around.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:39 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• OK thank you ladies
    kourtneya

Comment by kourtneya (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• We had a HUGE problem with our son literally being ADDICTED to these games. We had to completely take them away from him. We took every thing out the house. It was causing him to have bad mood changes and temper tantrums. After about a month or so of no games and playing outside, he turned back into his old self. Most boys become addicted to it and parents think it's okay... it's not.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 4:44 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Time limits should be set for these type toys. And playing board games with family could be something new for fun Like Clue and others that are really fun. You and DH can talk this over and make it a new activity.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Im a born gamer and so are my kids so we play video games together as a family like Halo :)
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 5:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My husband and I were just talking about this today. It's truly like a drug addiction! Our daughter spent the day jonesing for her computer fix today because we banned her from using it. Her choices were to spend time with us or sit in her room and read and she was freaking out. Sometimes I hate having a computer.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I think it is normal you just need to be sure you set time limits.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:03 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My son is 11 and he loves family time as well as video game time. I think if it were a game or family outing he really wanted to do he would choose family time, but if it were something he didn't feel like doing, he might choose his video game. I don't think that would be abnormal unless a kid will not do anything with family ever and is totally obsessed with video game or computer 24/7.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2010