How can I learn to control my anger? adult content

Before I got pregnant, I had anger/rage issues that I was taking medication for, and I was seeing a therapist. I used to smoke 3 packs a day and drink occasionally. Now that I am pregnant, I cannot take my meds, I quit smoking and drinking THE DAY I found out, and obviously the change in hormones causes mood swings. I am a bitch to begin with and I feel I have evolved into a total cunt. I don't know what to do to keep myself calm. I take out my frustration on my Husband and I don't to. I don't know why I get so angry so easily over the smallest thing. I am angry all the time. I still see my therapist but just talking to her isn't helping. Has or is anyone experiencing the same thing? How did you control your anger?

DinaMaxwell

Asked by DinaMaxwell at 4:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• a good therapist and prayer.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I love my therapist but we can't seem to find a technique that works, and sadly I'm not religious... perhaps prayer in general??
    DinaMaxwell

Comment by DinaMaxwell (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• You dont need to be religous to pray. Just sit down somewhere quite and talk to The Lord it always help
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 5:15 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Try this... Go out and buy one of those little notebook things... Everytime you get angry stop and write it down (in as much detail as you can, when, where, why, who, level of anger, anything else you can think of). Then at the end of the day go back and look through the stuff you wrote down. You may find patterns (like you always get angry when you're hungry). You can then take it with you to the therapist (they may notice patterns too). And you may find that stopping to write it all down becomes a matter of "is this really making me mad enough to write it down?". Worked pretty well for a friend of mine who was having trouble with yelling at her kids. Eventually most of the reasons she was getting mad about either had a trigger (she was hungry) or she stopped caring about because she had to write it down. I hope that makes sense and helps!
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 5:19 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• hmmm, I will have to try that. I just need to learn to catch myself before I start yelling and going on a major rampage. Thanks =)
    DinaMaxwell

Comment by DinaMaxwell (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• First of all, congratulations on stopping the pills, drinking and smoking! That is awesome!! Shows you will be a good mother :) Second of all, being pregnant, let alone giving up all those things, your body is going through a HUGE change! It might take time, but try to walk away when you get irritated.... Go for a walk, go read a book, just think about the baby.. you gave up all of those other things b/c they were bad for baby... well stress, and anger aren't good either.. Just try and remember that :)
    Good luck!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• thx maybebaby83, thx everyone these answers are really helping
    DinaMaxwell

Comment by DinaMaxwell (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Is there a different medication you could go on that would help with your anger issues and is safe for pregnancy? Have you worked on any calming techniques? Maybe find something to do that will help you release your frustrations and energy.
    smoden1

Answer by smoden1 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I have depression, and my docs (Reproductive Endocrinologist, OB, and MFM specialist) all recommended i stay on Prozac during my pregnancies because of the risk to baby when mom is depressed. I'd talk to your OB.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 8:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• The medication they have me on is really dangerous for the baby, 300mg effexor and kolonopin. So its best I'm not on it...
    DinaMaxwell

Comment by DinaMaxwell (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Oct. 31, 2010