LOTS of dark earwax?

my three month old has lots of dark orange colored earwax. i've had to clean out them out several times since she's been born, and this morning i noticed that there was lots on one ear - almost enough to drip out. she doesn't seem to have pain (though she hasn't been sleeping very well). should i be worried or call the doctor?

ariel08

Asked by ariel08 at 9:22 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter has a lot of earwax as well. Our doc said that it's normal and just to wipe the visible stuff with a washcloth. He explained it as the body will make as much or as little wax as needed so if you leave it alone they body will eventually regulate, but if you take a q-tip to it the body will think it needs to produce more. Does that make sence? :0) Chloe is almost 11 months and it seems to have almost gone away.

It never hurts to call the nurse line at the doctors office if you're concerned.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 9:38 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Her ears might be draining, but if you are worried you should call your doc just to make sure because i have never seen that happen in my son. his ear wax is like a dark orange though.
    LadyUsagi

Answer by LadyUsagi at 9:39 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• some children have more ear wax then others..... my son to this day is still "bad" in my opinion. His ears have to be clean like every 3-5 days. (he's 7 years old now); my DD on the other hand I hardly have to clean.....very rare....she's 6 years old now.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:41 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Should be fine. Even when dd has an ear infection and lots of wax, the doc just wipes it away so he can see inside. He's never said anything about it whether she's sick or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• The only time u should be worried is if the baby is fussy and pulling at their ears. usually they have this build up and u shouldnt try to use q-tips in babys ear canal. when u take baby to doctor ask about the build up of ear wax and usually they will remove it for u
    megababyrea

Answer by megababyrea at 4:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• DO NOT USE Q TIPS whatever you do! I just had this problem with my son today, the pharmacist told me to get an ear wax removal kit and drain his ear with it, then suction it out. She said lots of wax can cause a fever
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2008