Do you think that...?

One of the major problems facing children today is their lack of parenting? Parents who think that their children are incapable of doing wrong, or who refuse to punish their children for fear that they will "stifle their personality"?

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 9:25 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in General Parenting

• Yes. Regardless of how you choose to discipline them, the fact remains that kids need discipline. They need to learn that there are rules and how to follow them. They need parents, not "best friends".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Absolutly, every kid needs to be reminded of what they shouldn't do, they tend to forget ten min after you have told them not to do it. They tend to be very smart little people, they know how to get you, and test your limits. If you quite don't "remind" them of their limits they'll go beyond. And I believe that's when they go out of hand. A lot of parents tend to just let them be and when you out in public is where they show their ugly side when they don't get it their way. Well, basically all I'm saying that don't understimate children, they are really good at testing us, and always trying to get their way. That's what we are here for, to show them the way. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I agree. I do believe in spanking ( not abusing) my children. They need to learn at a young age what's right and what's wrong so they know from the get-go and don't get out-of-hand as they get older.
    mandy_bug

Answer by mandy_bug at 9:53 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Yes! To many parents want to be their child's friend. They have friends, they need parents and if we don't teach them right from wrong they are going to have a very hard time adjusting to adulthood.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• i have to agree, my finance's family dont think i should punish my son he is almost 10 months old now and when we doesnt something wrong and messes with something that he doesnt need to "play" with i will pop his hand and tell him no. i know from seeing my friends deal with their children, and they will tell me that they wish they would have started punishing their kids at younger age because the older they get the hard it gets on you.
    gurlieracer4

Answer by gurlieracer4 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Absolutely! It's a huge problem.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2008