Why are older Silbings so selfish?

janettee

Asked by janettee at 7:23 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I never found that to be the case. Maybe it is true sometimes if the younger ones get all the attention.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:28 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My brothers get all of the attention and because my mother hates me I left it go. Its hard but try it can only make your life better.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I am the oldest sibling, and I've never been accused of being slefish.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Woops, it's been a long night, I meant selfish, not slefish. Darned typos.
    Eviesmommy

• I think it's usually the opposite, it's the youngest that are more selfish, not the oldest.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:19 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• OMG my two oldest daughters just think about them selves only..
    janettee

Comment by janettee (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• i have 7 sisters and 6 brothers i can name half of them are just plain rude and others are just into them self ',i just thinking being older makes them mean ,i really belive they take these big pills that make them mean and nasty lol
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:41 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I am the oldest. I have always felt I had be more responsible, lead by example, and overall set a good example for my younger siblings. My sister..the next to youngest is the most selfish person I meet. My parents have encouraged that though.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• because they didnt ask for the younger ones to come along... no offense but we dont get to choose (like parents do) how many sibilings we get... also older ones see what happens when the new baby comes home = they have to begin to fight for what they got before without fighting. they have to watch their backs or they might get short changed...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:17 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Well I am the oldest of 6 kids. My youngest sibling is 21 years younger than me. Let me tell you that child was suffering from chronic pnemonia the first year of his life, I spent just as many nights as my mother walking the floors with him. Trading off who stayed up every other night so nobody got too exhausted.

I was unaware that being the oldest automatically made me so selfish. Thanks for telling me, so I will know better than to take care of my siblings in the future. Oh and it helps a lot when you actually work to forge a bond between siblings. Make the older siblings feel like a very real part of the little ones lives and stress how important EVERY member of the family is.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2010