is there anyway to make nebulizer treatments less of a battle?

my son has been having breathing problems and the doctor gave us a prescription for a nebulizer nightly before bed. he screams and cries. kicks, and flings his arms. i feel like it doesn't do anything but stress him out. does anyone have a child that is on a breathing treatment machine? what do you do to make it easier on you and the child? i hate to give it to him, but i want to keep him safe...HELP!

candle5

Asked by candle5 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Kids' Health

• you have to let him play or read or do somethign normal while he does this, with light on too. my son take it from me had severe asthma from a newborn stage!!! an infant all the way til he grew out of it at 5. he never did that stuff, he was allowed to stay up and play bob the builder on the rug with the neb mask on, also his had a dragon face shape on it, the thing is loud but put music on louder liek we did. it is sad but it helps!!! he was on BOTH pulmicort and albuterol so he had long treatments. now he just has an as-needed inhaler at 7 yrs, so there IS hope. let your son ENJOY the time of the treatment. also, if he wants to lay in bed, stay in there and talk to him durign it. also model for him YOU putting it on and saying see? i am calm no problem! also read to him during it or just plain old hug him and stroke his hair -- i did all these at times. mostly he played tho, the tubing was really long-- thats key get longer1
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 7:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I"m a nurse in a daycare. I have the child sing Old McDonald and we all do the ee-i-ee-i-ohs. Also, it helps YOU a little to know that if he is crying he is actually breathing in deeper and getting more medicine deeper. Sometimes you can just hold the mask up, with their hands on it and they feel in more control, without actually putting the band around the head to keep it there. Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• The other ladies have given you good advice. Just try to keep him as entertained as you can. We have a couple of cute masks that are dinosaur/dragon faces with purple horns ( you can find them online) My daughter used to like to hold hers instead of having the elastic around her head. I usually give her a treat after she is finished because I know how hard it is for a little one to sit still for that long. My daughter started taking nebulizer treatments regularly right before she turned 1 , she is getting ready to turn 4 and now only needs the nebulizer when she is having an "episode" or when she is sick we do Flovent with a spacer instead because the pulmicort wasnt really helping her much. It does get better with time, just know that you are helping him i know it is hard to watch your baby cry during the treatment but he will get used to it and it wont be a fight anymore. good luck momma.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I agree with distracting him with a song, toy, or something. Or try and let him help hold it or tell him he gets a special treat if he does it right without a fight.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 9:55 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• wait til they are asleep then do it. that's what we do with our girls.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:19 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• When we have to give DD a nebulizer treatment, I hold her in a bear hug and rock with her(she's scared by loud noises), and she gets a popsicle afterwards, both as a reward for being good and to get rid of the fuzzy feeling albuterol leaves in your mouth.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Bribery?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Read a book to him and make it fun..
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• i showed my nephews when they had it, that i liked it and made it a game that i was going to steal it.. also when working in daycare, although they said before bed, i did it either ealier, when the child wasnt sooooo sleepy and fussy, or as SOON as he fell asleep, seemed to be less of a battle.. hope this helps!
    AhmanisSoldier

Answer by AhmanisSoldier at 11:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2010