Do you think the

Bush tax cuts should be eliminated?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 7:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Hard to say. In light of the current economic crisis and debt our country faces, I can not see why anyone would complain, if they were cut in addition to reining in the spending. Every little bit helps!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• No, for all of the reasons stated above. There are too many people already barely making it, or skipping things/doing without each pay, and even a $10/pay dent is going to make a huge difference.

And, to be honest, I think that it would serve the gov't. right if every working person in that situation (who makes just a few pennies too much to qualify for FS) would just quit and say 'why bother, I'll live on welfare and let some other dumb schmoe worry about making enough money'. Just think, the unemployment numbers would likely come down and Obama could claim raising taxes saved the day.

Given the ridiculous performance by this Congress and President I think all of them should lose an entire year of pay ~ and all retirement benifits (including security) before any tax hikes take place. They WON'T curb spending unless it's to hurt the elderly, disabled, and the military and don't deserve more tax money to waste.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:34 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Absolutely not. Our economy is bad enough as it is, taking away more money from people that need it isn't going to help. Maybe if the government would STOP SPENDING money, we wouldn't be in this mess, and we wouldn't have to raise taxes!
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 9:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• No.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:03 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• IMO, no. And even if there needs to be taxation to pay the deficit, the spending habits in Washington have to change as well. Right now is not the right time to increase taxes. With foreclosures at record setting levels and the economy not improving like we were promised, the families that are holding on by a thread would end up losing the most. As usual, the middle class will sustain the biggest impact of this decision.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• No they shouldn't. The govt should not receive any additional money until they can figure out how to say not to things like marsh mice, turtle tunnels, studies on why gay guys have unprotected sex and programs to teach black men how to clean their tinky winky's.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• No!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• No! The tax cuts affected all income levels not the just the wealthy! I read an article the other night on my local news channel's website that stated a married couple making $80k per year will see a decrease in their monly income by $442. Now some of you may say, $80k, that's a lot of money, people making that much money can afford it. No, they can't. Not when health insurance is going up; the costs of goods and services are on the rise; and incomes are not. I will be lucky to get a 1% raise next year, which will not cover the fact that our premiums are going up, our city just raised water rates, if Cap & Tax is passed, electricity will go up, and so on and so forth. The American people can't get beat up anymore! I also do not trust the government to spend the "extra" money wisely! Congress needs to learn to live within their means; it's common freaking sense!
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I think we need a law that Congress cannot vote a pay raise for itself. I am not in favor of letting the tax cuts expire. They need to get spending under control. PBO's health care monstrosity and his stimulus packages are perfect examples of exorbitant spending that is not producing the promised benefit.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:46 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Start with the WAR and bring our guys HOME

Relax sweet! It is in the works! The administration is trying to figure out the best way to bail in Afghanistan and the troops will come home. The bad news is they are also planning a massive reduction in troop numbers. So we are going to bring them home and then fire them. Nice huh!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:55 PM on Oct. 31, 2010