Disgusted with parents!!!!!

How many of you don't like the way your parent/parents raised you..You think they did it or got it all wrong...Do you still talk to, him/her or them,Or have you shunned, him/her or them???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Relationships

• I think it's only natural to disagree with the way your parents raised you. I know I have many areas that I disagreed with and I do my best NOT to do that with my children, just like there are things that I felt my mom did "right" and I do that with my children. That's what 1/2 of parenting is, do what you know, (i.e. how you were raised). Do I let those things that I do different effect my relationship with my Mom....hell NO!!! There's no need to; we both are Adults and she has enough respect for me as an adult to allow me to raise my children the way I feel it best for them!! There are many things that I have done that my Mom has turn to me and said "You're awesome; I wished I was more like that....." :)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:55 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I still speak to my mother, but I don't agree with how I was raised at all. I am raising my children the exact opposite of how I was raised. If I told her the truth about what I really think of her and the way she raised us, we probably wouldn't be speaking anymore. I maintain the relationship for the sake of my children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• You should let it go and move on, you seem to be still hurt by them. My parents werent the best people, thet both were alcholics, and my dad was abusive to everyone, even my mom. She had to do what she had to. they really are just people too, who made mistakes, I can see the mistakes all my grandparents had made too. its not just their fault. like above said, you can change your family..thats all that really matters now. leave the past in the past and let it go......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• i still talk to my mother i have to my father is ill and i am their only transportation anywhere but she drives my insane and when you bring up something she did to us in our childhood she says she never.......or i don't remeber that of course not you don't want to admit how cruel you were
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I didn't enjoy my life as a child, if it could be ranked, I'll give it a 1 or 2. I have blocked I would say 80-90% of my childhood memories. And the ones that I remember there is one good in every 10. But I still speak to my parents. Most of the bad memories unfortunalty my mother is in them. But the only thing I'm really worried and I watch myself is if I start acting like her with my son, I stop and take a nice long breath, or my hubby helps me out, by reminding me of what I'm doing. But, God, it's hard. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I didn't agree in her lifestyle and her treatment on me at times. But she always said this quote, “you pay your dues here on earth before you leave”. She has late stages of Alzheimer’s now. I wouldn’t wish this disease on anyone not even her. Very painful to see. All water under the bridge now.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I don't really agree with all of the decisions that my parents (especially my mother) made as parents but I don't believe that they did any of the things that they did out of being malicious. They did the best they could given the tools that they had. My mother passed away 3 years ago and I felt like we had some unresolved issues so I just had to let them go realizing that she was only human and honestly didn't know any better.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My father was a great father but my mothe always put me down pushed me to the side.I was a sweet girl and I was daddy's little girl and my mother was always jealous of me.She has told me I was ugly and stupid and when I got preganant from my boyfriend at the time which is now my huband she told me not to come around her work she always put her side of the family first.I always felt like nothing to her so now that she is sick I have no empathy towards her she is an awful mom all my friends growing up did not like her and my best friend said at the age of twelve why is your mother so mean to you and she said if she had a mother like mine she would rather live in a shack than deal with me and my father everybody loved him.
    Anonymous