Breastfeeding Help ASAP

I've read that newborns need to eat every 2 to 3 hours, but I can't seem to find how long the duration of each feeding should be. How long is normal for the baby to feed. My newborn falls asleep or slows down at times when feeding and I assume she's done so I take her off my nipple, but sometimes that period is really short. So how long on average do newborns (like thee days old) usually eat for? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always feed on demand. I listen to baby ques of when they wanted to eat and were done.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• HI i did this and LOVED it for five months and my daughter was a champion feeder. Ready? You need to FOLLOW her lead! not yours. thats what breastfeeding is about,. it WILL be every 1 1/2 to 2 to 3 hours! breastmilk digests VERY easily and well, so they are empty and hungry more often. The duration WILL vary!! I called the nurse line at my hospital about this very recently! like in the spring. anyway, she will regulate more as she GROWS. please do not be impatient with her at this stage. no need also to tap her or annoy her so she feeds, just only a very little reminder to feed but nothing big. Sometimes she will only feed a little and YOU will think she didnt get enough, but get this: thier stomach is only the size of a GRAPE when born! and only aleetle bigger than that very slowly. At four months old is when she BEGAN to sleep thru the night. YOU do what YOU and her need. use it for sleep&comfort breast is ok! relax n enjoy!
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:29 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• you are blessed she is latchign on well and enjoying to feed so she falls asleep actually that is a sign she is full. let her adjust. dont worry about the nighttimes, i used to be so tired but so happy. my husband was UN supportive and abusive about breastfeeding and we are separated right now. you must nurture your newborn and let her know she is loved and trusts people/you by attending to her needs YOu cant spoil a newborn or infant remember!! hugs
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:32 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• the world is SO big, loud, dry and cold to a newborn, you are what she needs and will adjust well by the way you hodl and touch and soothe her. also, she CANT self soothe yet UNTIL she gets coordination to hold her hands or blanket to her mouth. so dont pressure that. also,m breastfed babies often dont liek a pacifier as they prefer a finger or breast skin lol. i breastfed my child to sleep and then slipped her into crib (no burping and a nurse at work didnt either if they were finally asleep!) and got into my own bed alongside her bassinet/pack n play. also mine slept best in her bouncy seat and still does. also they can have teethign pain at 3 months, so you can use hylands teethign tablets which dissolve under tongue. i used fo rboth my kids. i am just concerned and caring for you guys, it is so wonderful!! i had to go back to work so i had to stop and shes doing okay on formula but dislikedweaning, so did i lol.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• if she cries and it must be gas, use infants mylicon drops to break up the gas, they are safe substance too. just breaks up large bubbles into tiny ones. also watch and dont eat beans or broccoli as that will cause gas in her, also caffeine or alcohol. alcohol can upset the milk flow so be careful/moderate.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My son usually nursed for 30-45 minutes at a time. But it varies. Sometimes he would only nurse for 15-20 minutes. Just offer the breast whenever baby wants. She will take what she needs. GL.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I just fed on demand. When he was hungry I fed him, when he was satisfied I stopped. I plan to do the same with this little one:)
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• It depends upon the baby, really. Follow her lead. If she seems done after 5-10 minutes, that's okay. If she wants to nurse for much longer, that's okay too. As long as she's having 6 or more wet diapers a day, she's getting enough.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:15 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• It varies. Some babies are efficent nursers, and can be finished in 5 min. Others may graze, and take an hour...or more! And they're both considered "normal".
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Don't unlatch baby - it's as simple as that. Put her to the breast as often as she wants, and leave her there til she lets go.
    Anonymous