Does anyone know about Plumbing and rural well water?

We've had issues with our well pump kicking in every 15 seconds. For no reason. Now its every 6-9 seconds. We just turn off the power to it so it won't. So that means using nothing with water. When we turn it back on its brown Water. We have this problem! A furnace we haven't turned on it over 6+ years. Too many problems and break downs! No one is employed here! DH lost his job and our insurance 23 months ago. I've been battling breast cancer all year. I go to the hospital every M-F. There's no money, savings Hope or help! Does anyone have a clue, idea a Fix? Anything. Living like this is very hard. Any kind replies are greatly appreciated.

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 8:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If the pump is kicking and and you're not turning on the water something else is calling for water.
    What is heating your water?
    Is anything dripping?

Answer those questions and I'll go down to the "man cave" and ask my husband.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Here's what my husband said -you have a leak somewhere. You probably have a leak in your pressure tank - that's where he would start (I suggest you google it because when he tried to explain it to me it sounded like gibberish.)
    If the pump is running every few seconds it's because something is calling for water, if your not running the water than it's a leak.

Whenever you turn on a pump to well water it will come out brown and nasty (this is know from childhood, but my husband just confirmed it), but in this case when you turn it on your probably stirring up rust or whatever has settled at the bottom of your tank.

{{btw, this is what my husband does for a living for a branch of government, he's very good.}}
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:17 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Well, this should help your husband: http://www.inspectapedia.com/water/watertank.htm
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:20 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Are you receiving any assistance from social services? There should be programs in your area to help you make the necessary household repairs.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:01 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• From the OP. NO we're not getting any help. I asked for Help with our furnace since we didn't turn it on in over 6+ years. But they couldn't help. I was told to turn on our furnace if it turns on they can't help! We had FEMA over 6 years ago. And we never had it looked at back then.I know our prior old furnace we were told if we turned it on one more time. The pot was cracked and it was flaking inside. And it would have caused a fire. This furnace is 24 years old. I can't get help for anything it seems. I'm too weepy, frail, fragile to ask anymore.. I get weepy and my voice cracks and I can't talk. It would have been easier had my condition got worse and I could have followed the light up on home it seems. But I know half dead or not I'm needed here.Its just so hard. Thank you for understanding!
    Angellinda

Comment by Angellinda (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You need to call welfare and get some help with food etc. Do you have a church near by? I suggest you join it and ask for some help. People will bend over to help one another, but they can't if they don't know you need the help.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You can apply for welfare assistance online through your state's website. You can also call your local social service office & as if they have a resource book listing other agencies that you might seek help from.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2010