Tv Evangelists

I used to watch Joyce Meyer on the TCT network and I think she is a good minister, but I wonder about some of the other pastors and ministers on that network. Benny Hinn rubs me the wrong way because he pretends to heal people and I don't understand why people belive in that stuff. It makes me wonder if most of them are using God's name just to make a profit.

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do believe in healing and miracles, but I am turned off by most tv evangelists. I think it is disturbing how they have popularized the "health and wealth" gospel. People end up thinking that God owes them an easy ride through life because they "believe for it" or "claim it". What does that say about Christians in third world countries who pray, only to see their kids die of hunger? The implication is that their faith is not strong enough, when in reality, many of them have amazing faith that helps them to cope with hardship. Jesus suffered, and we will suffer. I especially hate hearing people say, "God's going to bless us", speaking about money. Excuse me, but God HAS blessed us! We live in a country where we are free and relatively safe. We are not martyred for our faith here. We have safety nets to help us find food or shelter during times of hardship. Even our poorest citizens live better than most people in the world.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• They wear tailor made clothes and expensive jewelry, drive expensive cars and live in mansions.  What do you think they do with all your donations?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I saw a few speak back when I was in Bible college days... i kinda got the impression that it was about money, but I can't and won't presume to know someone else's heart.
    VeggieMuslima

Answer by VeggieMuslima at 9:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I don't watch any tv evangelists. I don't appreciate their form of Christianity.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 9:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I agree with many of the previous posters. They seem more concerned about money and nice clothes and cars and all that. I don't believe in this "prosperity doctrine" nonsense - they tell people if they send in money they'll get more money back from God somehow, just so that they can get rich off of what people send in. I don't appreciate it. Maybe, perhaps, if they were actually putting money to good use, like to help the hungry or the homeless, it wouldn't bother me so much, but spending it on other things seems like its taking advantage...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:30 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• As far as TV Evangelists go, I'm not real familiar to with any of them to say anything. As for healing, I know that Christians do have the power to heal as Jesus stated and instructed. Our God is a living God and His spirit is within us. We are co-equal heirs to everything Jesus had and did. I've seen the sick be healed. I've seen miracles happen.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:30 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I don't pay attention to TV evangelists. I think a good many are sincere in their beliefs but a lot of what they preach is sincerely wrong. It goes against the bible. I especially don't listen to women preachers. The only one I've ever really listened to is an older gentleman by the name of Mack Lyons, if I remember correctly. He's on for about 30 minutes every Sunday, at least here in the south. I can't remember the name of his program though. His is strictly from the bible in a kind voice and the congregation sings at least 2 songs as well. If you ask they will send tapes of the sermons, all free of charge. They do no ask anyone to send money, as they are funded by Churches of Christ.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:06 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I am always amazed at how they link everything with money! It doesn't matter what the issues may be it always comes down to telling people that they have to spend money to make God work for them! It is rather disgusting. It also appalls me that many of them proclaim that if you are having financial problems you must be sinning and not being faithful because God doesn't call anyone to being poor! Seems to me if they were that concerned about everyone's financial well being they would be giving away their money and not taking it from others, many who can ill afford to do so.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I was watching one guy one time and he was telling people to send in money they'd been saving for a new car, a new house, their children's college fund, and God would provide the money when they needed it. I was appalled! I could just see a little old lady sending in her savings to this guy, or a desperate housewife who wanted a miracle. It was so sad and it make me really mad!
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 3:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I often wonder the SAME thing too
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 31, 2010