• In the Spotlight:

My son is a huge Mama's boy and I just found out that I'm expecting again, I'm scared he wont like another baby around! Someone please HELP?

StrangeMama381

Asked by StrangeMama381 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• my daughter was very much a mommy's girl... i had my second when my first was 22months old. she was great. i just kept explaining to her what was going to happen, and kept letting her know that there was a baby in my tummy. when 2nd was born, i let 1st hold her... and she loved to help with her.

don't make that big of a deal of it. don't tell him that he has to be a big boy, now that the baby is here..... every kid i've known has regressed in some way. it's absolutely normal.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Talk about siblings, get books out of the library about the transitions involved in new babies, get books or videos about pregnancy and babies.

Don't make the mistake of telling him that he's going to get 'someone he can play with' because it will be years before the baby is capable of playing.

Don't make the mistake of doing 'big boy and mommy only' activities, because that will imply to him that the only way you can love him, really, is for the invader to be somewhere else. Engage in activities with the baby in your lap, or wearing the baby, so he gets used to the idea that it's not all-or-nothing attention for him.

Do tell stories about him as a baby, and what was involved in his care, so when he sees you doing the same things for his sib, he'll know this is normal not mommy loving the baby better. Go through his baby book, look at pictures of him as a baby...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I think you need to remember he is still a child as well. If you start to give the baby all the attention then he might start acting up and giving you problems. I do think playing with him while the baby is there is a good thing, although I do believe spending some time with just him is also good. When my kids were little I would spend 1/2 hour every night reading books to my oldest. It was right before bed and it was his mommy and me time. We still have mommy and me time, although now we do things like go out for ice cream and talk about school He is 13 and his brother is 11.

I would also talk to him about the baby, when you ready. Make it fun for him so he gets just as excited as you are.

Good Luck and don't worry to much!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• In addition to the wonderful suggestions above, try letting him see you holding other peoples' babies. If you have friends with babies, let him see you holding the baby, and you can share the baby with him. Let him see that he will still get your attention, how to behave with a baby, etc. DS is really good with seeing me with other babies now that he's gotten used to it, and I think it will help when he's a big brother.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:55 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My son is a mama's boy and he loves his little brother tremendously. My advice...Just prepare him for it by talking about the baby and reading him books. When the baby gets here include him often, give him extra love and set aside special time just the two of you.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Oh and tell him about how he was when he was a baby... Let him know he got the same care as the baby is getting now.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2010