Overeaters anonymous, No bashing please

Has anyone ever had a problem with overeating? I heard of overeaters anonymous and wanted to know if it worked. How does it work? I seriouly need some help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Holidays

• i have heard from others that it works & that its a great support group! Since I got pregnant i should really look into it myself. It seems like I just cant stop eating!!!
    ahsweetness

Answer by ahsweetness at 9:24 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• It 'works' the same way the rest of the 12 step programs work: with support and determination and a willingness to be uncomfortable, to confront the shame and make small, lasting changes over and over...

It 'works' as well and as poorly as the rest of them, too --it matters a lot to make strong personal connections with the program and the people in the program, if that doesn't happen (or the program is too hard right now) the failure rate is very high.

It can work. It's a whole lot healthier than starvation dieting, surgery or just continuing to get heavier and heavier.

I recommend Geneen Roth's books, particularly When Food is Love.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:25 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Any twelve step program is based off of an addiction. If your life has become unmanagable due to your problem. You will however, meet healthy people, unhealthy people, and people just as lost as you. Stick to the winners. If you are willing to work the twelve steps for your issue than it would work for you.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I've seen the commercials too, and have considered going, but they don't have it in my area (yet), plus according to the commercial I don't quite fit the bill...but if you feel you need it, there is no harm in going and trying it.
    Anonymous