Depression and natural remedies

Are there any natural products or remedies for depression? I am not willing to take regular meds because I wouldn't be able to handle the negative side affects. I know that natural products can have risks too, but I can't handle taking conventional meds. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Health

• St. John's Wort is the only tested herb for depression.

Also, switch your diet. Eat healthy and get physical activity every day.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• There is the book, The LEVity Solution.

His opinion is that depression is caused by insufficient Light, Exercise and Vitamins --so he recommends exercising outside (walking, hiking, biking, playing sports, throwing a ball, skiing, snowshoeing, swimming, etc.) and taking a good multivitamin every day.

Light can make a tremendous difference to people's mood --so can exercise. But the light indoors, even in really bright spaces is a tiny fraction of the light available outside. So, even on overcast 'grey' days, there is far more light out there than in here, so go out for 10-15 minutes at least twice a day, every single day. Wear UV sunglasses, but don't wear dark glasses outside --amber or even clear (in the fall and winter) let a lot more light into your eyes and offer as much UV protection as darkened lenses.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• exercise helps me. stick to an all natural diet, no processed foods. vitamin b6 helps.

above all else, talk to your dr.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Sunshine and fresh air...Exercise...and fellowship with family and friends..I was treated for depression and really regreted it and the side affects were really bad....I will never be quick to take a pill again..
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 11:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Take fish oil. It is high in omega's that the brain needs to function properly. Make sure to use a high quality preferably liquid. The higher the price the better the quality, better results.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:56 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Trying to take care the reason your depress with do wonders as well as exercising the body and mind. Try also try looking at the foods you eat that feeds you body.  GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 1, 2010