Would you take an animal back to the shelter after adopting it?

I adopted a kitten from the shelter. I have always loved cats & had them my entire life. This is the worst cat I have ever seen! I've adopted cats before the same age and never had these problems. This cat acts like it's on crack. She's climbed up my bare leg twice, climbed the curtains, crapped all over the floor and has harassed my 16 month old from day one. She bite and scratches every one and every thing. She doesn't respond to a water bottle, or any of the usual methods to deter animals from bad behavior. I could deal with the cold she has & cleaning the craps for now if she wasn't so hateful. I know pets require vet visits, but it seems like a lot of money to spend for a terroristic cat! They told me I have so many days to take her back...I think it'd be best for her and us if I did. I decided that if I do I wouldn't take my money back. I feel terrible for thinking it. Could you?

Mrs.B3

Asked by Mrs.B3 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Pets

• WOW! This cat does sound pretty Psycho! I'm sorry that all of you are going through so much with her- including the cat b/c there has to be something really wrong for it to be acting so Crazy! Usually, i would say NO; i would not take a animal back to the shelter but, in your case- Maybe, i would.......... You have to do what is in the Best Interest of your family- especially, your child!  Maybe, a vet could help you figure out what is going on with her- She might just be really scared right now & needs more time to get adjusted to her new home or she may be just to Wild for anyone to handle- i wish i had some answers for you- but, do what is best for you- Wishing you lots of luck!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 9:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Id feel bad but you can't have it scratching and such. Return it its not what they promised you. You probaly won't get your money back but youll be free of demon cat
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 9:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Most shelters have an exchange policy with animals they adopt out. The shelter will want you to have a pet that fits your family. Don't feel bad about taking the cat back. If it has the potential to hurt your child, you need to take it back. The cat may have been severely neglected and therefor not socialized with people. Better safe than sorry on this one.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 9:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Nope, once an animal enters my home it is for the life of the animal. I feel that since I have taken on the responsibility of the animal it is for better or worse. Some kittens take a bit longer to settle down then others but I am sure if you gave the cat a chance she wilol. My sister adopted a kitten from me that I had found and was fostering. We had named him Sammy but she added Psychoto the front of his name because he is a wild man and plays rough. He also acts like he has adhd.  He is about 6 months now and has settled down a lot. He is still very much a kitten but with consistent training and time he is turning into a pretty cool cat.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:47 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• If you feel she isn't the best for you, your family, and your home, then taking her back might not be a horrible idea. It's not like you didn't give the animal a fair chance. To be honest, I don't think I could put up with a cat like that either, it'd drive me bonkers!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• If an animal did not work out for me, i would take it back.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• They said I could get my money back, but I'm not really concerned with that. I'd let them keep it for supplies they may need. $20 isn't much, but it might help them! Yeah, I've had cats my entire life and I know there is an adjustment period. I just never had one so wild!
    Mrs.B3

Comment by Mrs.B3 (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• we got a cat from the shelter and she was supposed to be an inside cat but we had to let her outside instead b/c she peed on my towels lol but we still kept her
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I'm afraid if I let her out she may disappear like my last outside cat. We live in the country and have coyotes come up at night. Seems like it'd be really mean to let her out there!
    Mrs.B3

Comment by Mrs.B3 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I pretty much feel that if I take on the responsibility of an animal that it's mine until the day it dies. Kittens do crazy things and don't really start to calm down until they are 2 or 3. Both of my cats were kittens when I adopted them and I swear to you that I thought they would drive me insane...running around the house late at night screeching, scratching at the door if I tried to shut it so I could sleep, etc. One of my cats would corner my husband in the kitchen and hiss at him and try to attack him. Then they mellowed out. The one that used to try to attack my husband became HIS best buddy. The other one who was completely psychotic as a kitten is my little buddy and now that he's older stays by my side all day and night long.
    I would give him more time. But if you do decide to trade him in, get an older cat.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:23 AM on Nov. 1, 2010