Potty training a 2 yr old boy

I have had thoughts of potty training my 2 year old son but he doesnt seem interested in it at all.. any suggestions please and thank you.

missamarie23

Asked by missamarie23 at 10:01 PM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he is not able to control the muscles, or feel the urgency of a full bladder or bowel, you're on your own. You can't teach him what it feels like or how to do it, so it's simplest to wait until he's demonstrating readiness --which will be obvious, because he'll be doing it. Saves a whole lot of heartache and effort, really.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:03 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• if he doesnt seem interested, dont push it! it will become a power struggle. You could introduce him slowly with fun potty dvd's and board books though. This needs to be a child-led milestone. He's on his way to readiness once he let's you know one way or another he went or needs to go!!!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:06 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I have been told that pushing will only end in sorrow so I have not pushed at all. He does seem interested when his father goes to the bathroom however when I ask him if he has to go potty he grabs a diaper instead of racing towards the bathroom. He will sit on the toilet but after a min is not interested anymore. Im lost to what to do next. I have videos and he doesnt like them at all!
    missamarie23

Comment by missamarie23 (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I agree if he is not interested then I would not push right now. If you want to get things started you could talk to him about getting underwear. With my son we took him shopping and let him pick out his own underwear. Then we did a sticker calendar. We let him buy a couple different styles of stickers, whatever he liked. Then I printed a calendar off the computer and put it up in the bath room. When he went potty he would get to put a sticker on the calendar. After "X" amounts of stickers we would take him for a special treat. Maybe we would go for ice cream or to the dollar store.

You don't want to push to much because this is something he can control and if he is not ready he is going to fight you.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• We had FANTASTIC success with the 3 day method. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Seriously, 3 days and you're done. A day and a half in our case!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:52 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• i wouldnt push it at all (im not with my 2 year old) but I would just make it a habit. right now, i take my son to the bathroom every once in a while. if i ask him if he needs to go, he usually says whether he does or not. so we have made some progress. but i even let him run around naked a lot. he knows that he is NOT allowed to pee on the floors so if he has to go while he is naked, then he goes in the bathroom. but if he has a diaper on and i dont ask him, he doesnt usually tell me. we're working on that. but im content with him simply knowing that he is supposed to go potty in the toilet. like i said, dont push it, just make it a habit
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 8:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2010